Author Topic: Brie's first time on a shoot  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
Re: Brie's first time on a shoot
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »
Congratulations. it sounds as though you both had a memorable day
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Brie's first time on a shoot
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 10:13:46 PM »
Just seen this although your mum mentioned to me on the phone you had done well congratulations little Brie :luv:

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Mez

Re: Brie's first time on a shoot (& now a few more days under her belt)
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »
Just a little update to report on Brie's progress,

Since her first time on a shoot where she mostly sat on peg as I shot, she has now been out on 2 proper shoot days beating & a walked up rough day.

She did surprise me a little on her first proper day beating as on the first drive she refused to enter some brambles, now anybody who knows Brie will tell you that she is usually to be found pushing her way through thick cover just for the fun of it!
However as the day progressed she got into the swing of things & started to work quite well, flushing both pheasants & woodcock whilst remaining steady.
I did notice that her quartering wasn't as good whilst working as it is in training & she was tending to just run from one piece of cover to another, on occasions she ran a little too far ahead & had to be recalled back with the whistle.

On the walked up rough day she had her first encounter with a deer & it didn't go
quite as well as it could've done,
Brie had been working a wide dyke between 2 fields & had her nose firmly planted in a tuft of grass when all of a sudden a roe deer ran up the dyke towards us missing standing on Bries head by inches, Brie looked up with a "what the heck was that" kind of look on her face then she caught sight of the deer & ran off after it, she did come back but not until she'd followed the deer to the end of the dyke.

For the rest of the time she was really well behaved & although there are a few things that need work I now know what they are & have until next season to work on them with her.