Author Topic: Your dog's nightime routine...  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Bounty

• Poppy, Maggie and Hamish all at rainbow bridge
Your dog's nightime routine...
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:56:10 AM »
Doody has us in stiches with laughter with his nightime routine, it goes something like this:

Comes onto the bed for 3 bits of biscuit (not 2 not 4 - 3 bits)

After eating that he will move to the bottom of the bed and dig and dig and scratch and turn round, dig some more, bite the duvet to pull into shape, dig, dig.  (if we watch him and he sees us he will stop - if we laugh at him - he will stop).  Then when we look away, he will dig some more.  :lol2:

He then lies down.

Two minutes later he jumps OFF the bed and gets a drink (why bother with all that bleedin' digging??!!)

He then goes onto his own bed on the floor and digs that.

Then he cries until he is lifted onto our bed again.  >:D

He then digs a little bit and lies down on my feet.  If I move them, he will move onto them again.  :luv:

He then licks both his paws clean for about 5 minutes (very annoying as it jigs the bed).

Then he goes to sleep OR he jumps off and sleeps in his own bed.

PHEW - after all that, I would be tired too!!!  :005:

What does you doggie do at night?
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Hamish - My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Your dog's nightime routine...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:32:44 AM »
Well for 3 of them,they're all quite simple in their bedtime routine- after bedtime biscuit up to bed.

Once I'm in bed Misha will sit at the end of the bed and wait for her cuddle.  She'll only come for a cuddle if she's invited otherwise will just sit there looking at you.  Soon as she's invited she'll snuggle down with her head on my shoulder (same every night), and she'll hardly move an inch all night and will sometimes climb under the duvet if she's a little chilly.  Roly is very straightforward he will try to get comfortable on my pillow, after I've shooed he away - he will jump off the bed have a noisy through any clothes that are on the chair (looking for socks), then back onto the bed turn a few circles in the middle of the bed and that's it for him.  Lexi is quite new and up until recently was sleeping in a crate in my room.  Initially she will also try to get comfy on my pillow, but after I've shooed her away she will try and wedge herself between Roly and Misha with lots of grumbles from Misha. 
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Bounty

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »
awww bless them. sleeping with head on your shoulder.  Oh I wish doody would do that but he is very much bottom of the bed kind of guy!

he will come up in the morning for snuggles under the duvet though which is my favourite part of the day.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »
awww bless them. sleeping with head on your shoulder.  Oh I wish doody would do that but he is very much bottom of the bed kind of guy!

he will come up in the morning for snuggles under the duvet though which is my favourite part of the day.

Roly does the same - he'll walk round to the other side and have his morning cuddles.

Offline Bounty

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 10:51:10 AM »
how do you manage with 3? I had 2 at one point and it was hard work.

Do you find it easier with more as in they entertain each other?

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »
how do you manage with 3? I had 2 at one point and it was hard work.

Do you find it easier with more as in they entertain each other?

I work from home so that does make things a lot easier.  Lexi has only been with me a month so is still settling in, but they all do play quite a lot.  There are quite a few others on the forum that have far more dogs.  I think 3 might be my maximum, would need a bigger house otherwise :lol:.

Offline Bounty

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 11:25:07 AM »
oh I am so jealous that work from home!

doody is so good if he could come to work with me, he would sit under my desk and no-one would know he was there!

as it is he goes to his Auntie Michelle's in the day and gets spoiled rotten! doggy day care  :005:

Offline theshrew

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 11:36:52 AM »
It depends if im in the dog house or not lol or if i sleep downstairs so not to disturb Mrs Shrew after i get up with my daughter in the night.

If i am then its the Sofa for us Missy sleeps on my back or kinda wrapped around my shoulders with her face next to mine. Love this keeps us both warm lol.  :luv:

Or

If im in bed Mrs Shrew wont let Missy in our room so she has to stay in the Kitchen. Ive tried and tried to talk her into it but she's not having it.  :'(

Offline Bounty

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »
no! poor missy.  why wont mrs shrew allow the dog in the room?

if it were me I would be on the sofa every night but then I imagine certain marital privileges may cease  :005:

Offline theshrew

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 02:23:53 PM »
Lol yup your correct, we dont want that do we  :005: :005:

She said point blank when we got her that she wasnt sleeping in our room. I thought it was because she was a pup and not house trained etc i could understand that. Never changed her mind though god knows why. I do drop the odd hint every now and then but always falls on deaf ears. BOOOOOOOOO

Offline Bounty

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 03:46:47 PM »
awwww I feel really bad for you.

It seems unusual for it to be that way round too, it normally us women wanting our little ones close and the men saying no!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »
My 6 have tea around 4pm then its sleep on the sofa most of the night, then around 10pm its outside for the last wee and up to bed. The 2 retrievers stay downstairs but the cockers sleep in our bedroom on their beds.

Rosie normally wakes at 5ish for cuddles in our bed until 6am but the others tend to stay on their own beds  :blink:

Offline noelleybelley

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 11:32:08 AM »
Milly goes under the bed, settles herself down in her basket, and then decides she needs a drink - goes downstairs for one, comes back and digs her bed till she's happy with it and then moans loudly and flops down.  That's her till about 3.30 when she wants a wee  >:D

Charlie  :luv: goes into my daughter's room for a skulk around, to see if there's anything remotely edible, gets on her bed for a look at her, (she's 16), stuffs his wet nose in her face to see if she's asleep, gets off and comes to my room.  Then he waits for me to turn the light off, giving Duck a good niddling in the meantime.  When he thinks the coast is clear, he sneaks over to my make-up bag, pinches the lipsticky tissue, tears it up all over the floor and chews it!  Then he skulks off back to his basket, digs it a bit and goes to sleep. 
He declares the day 'over' at about 11.30 and gets really grumpy and red-eyed if we stay up later!  :lol2:

Offline Bounty

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
he sounds adorable and I am pleased to note that I do not own the only tissue-destroying dog on the planet!

Doody gets very annoyed if he is kept up late too - but for him that is 10.30!  :005:

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »
My two go out for their last wee, then race up the stairs to sit next to their biscuit tin in the bedroom. They wait there until I come up and get them one, Chops disappears back downstairs with his, Smartie onto the bed.
Chops then comes wandering back up five minutes later, and makes as much noise as possible cleaning his wotsits!
Smartie will clean her paws, and demand tickles for ages. You can always tell when she's going to settle down, as she does a huge sigh, and you don't hear from her again.
Unless she needs a wee, then she wakes me up by just staring at me...............it's very unnerving!!