Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

How To Teach A Reliable Recall

<< < (3/28) > >>

black taz:
really timely for me also as i am training Kira to the whistle at the minute.  We are at the stage now when i can get her to come back from the garden on the whistle - i hadnt been making sure she was already on the way but thankfully it has been 100% so far, so i will take your advice now and make sure she is on the way before i blow it.

I have had to change to the whistle rather than verbal command as my OH has overused "come" and will repeat it over and over again and if she doesnt come gives up (as he does with most commands - despite my constant reminder not to give an instruction if he is not prepared to follow it through >:D.  I did make him suffer the consequency a few weeks ago, as Taz had jumped on the bed before i got there and he told Taz to get off at least 7 times but hadnt physically removed him - he was waiting for me to do it.  I just got into bed and said that as he gave the command, he must follow it through, so Taz spent most of the night on the bed (doesnt bother me :005:)

AnnieA:

--- Quote from: Top Barks on February 05, 2010, 09:26:18 AM ---Also make sure you can deliver treats (or other rewards quickly) Amazing how many people mess around with plastic bags in pockets.
A treat pouch or bum bag is a must!

--- End quote ---

Thanks for this reminder.  :D  Prompted me to dig out the pouch I'd forgotten I bought!  ::)

leisl:
Do you know, we started pet gundog training about 4 weeks ago and I introduced the whistle for the first time.  I have to say within about 2 minutes Muppet picked this up and now she is a superstar hound.  She cannot come back to me fast enough, EVERYTIME!  I am still using the food reward when she comes back but I don't mind because she is faultless.  I wish we had found this method years ago.  

In the past her recall has be pretty good but you know what its like.....  

Nose on the ground = complete deafness!
I can totally recommend this method.

Good luck!

Top Barks:

--- Quote from: leisl on February 05, 2010, 12:59:33 PM ---Do you know, we started pet gundog training about 4 weeks ago and I introduced the whistle for the first time.  I have to say within about 2 minutes Muppet picked this up and now she is a superstar hound.  She cannot come back to me fast enough, EVERYTIME!  I am still using the food reward when she comes back but I don't mind because she is faultless.  I wish we had found this method years ago.  

In the past her recall has be pretty good but you know what its like.....  

Nose on the ground = complete deafness!
I can totally recommend this method.

Good luck!

--- End quote ---

Well done Muppet! :D

jackieant:
thanks again mark from me too, will buy myself that whistle i have been meaning to get but not got round to. :P
sounds great advice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version