Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

How To Teach A Reliable Recall

<< < (27/28) > >>

Natalielouise56:
This thread has been so helpful!! Our pup is only 9 weeks so we are still in the very early stages of training- only just about managed to get his collar on him as he just wants to chew it! Is there a good age to begin this training? Should we start now? Also, can anybody recommend a high-value treat suitable for young pups? Happy to buy or make  :D :D
Thanks!

ips:

--- Quote from: Gazrob on July 24, 2017, 12:19:14 PM ---I use a dog whistle. When I first got my dog I didn't use one. Eventually he would ignore my voice and only come when he felt like it. Now I've got the whistle he is much more reliable. I have also started to give him a retrieve as a reward for coming.

--- End quote ---

As an aside I use a silent whistle (tuned just audible) for turns and close stops recalls and I save the 210.5 for a "get here you little **** I wont tell you again" type recall 😁 not sure how many others do similar but I find she responds very well to the silent under normal levels but if she is going"over the threshold" the 210.5 now having a specific "purpose" theoretically has more impact due to infrequency of use. Over use of any whistle command I have found to make the dog sloppy , I suppose its like your partner constantly nagging, after a while you turn off to it 😁

Norton:
Thank you Mark for an excellent thread.  I purchased the 210.5 whistle after reading the OP.

I've had 14 month old Maggie for just under two weeks.  Maggie has lived a kennel life for the past 13 months, and is taking to life "on the outside" really well.

The main problem with following the training programme to the letter is that she will insist on following me around the house and garden --- so in-house whistle training isn't an option.  But it took no time at all for her to get the hang of open space whistle training, and so far, she is super-reliable at recall. 

The key I think is to use a high value treat linked ONLY to the whistle and for nothing else, thus linking it in her mind to an unusual reward. It does work.

Top Barks:
Great to hear

pablothecocker:
Thank you for all the good information in this post from the OP and everyone's own experiences.

I am into the first week of this training with my 13 month old cocker, Pablo. Due to my own naivety i thought i had a reliable recall. That was until natural flushing and hunting took over in the last couple of months and now i find myself standing and watching as my dog runs off into the distance chasing what ever has took his eye (normally pheasants).

Regarding the training i have a few questions regarding the long line ...

When Pablo is on the long line would it be best for me to be in the middle of a field stood static letting him roam around to the length of the line? Do i hold the line or let it run free and grab it if he goes to far?

I have read on some websites that the dog can get awareness of the line and start thinking that it is a long lead.

Also, one more quick question, what duration did people do step 6 for?

Thank you for any replies in advance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version