Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

How To Teach A Reliable Recall

<< < (2/28) > >>

Jeanette:

--- Quote from: Top Barks on February 04, 2010, 10:08:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jeanette on February 04, 2010, 09:31:27 PM ---Mark thats fab, going to keep that for the next dog as never whistle trained Indie but not going to start with her as she doesn't need it.

However, I might be missing something here but if they are in another room or the garden and you don't blow the whistle until they are on the way back to you, how do you know they are coming back or are you supposed to call them to get them to come and then blow the whistle - this is probably a really obvious answer so apologies in advance if I'm being dim  :shades:

--- End quote ---

yep shout them or make a fuss and don't make it too difficult for the dog to be able to comeback in the early stages.

--- End quote ---

Brilliant, thank you  :D

MaggieR:
Thanks for the post... I've not had too much of an issue with Maggie in the past, but with her being on cage rest and very restricted exercise for at least the another six weeks I'm already starting to worry about the first time we do venture out again so will try to start on this once we have the all clear.

SandraD:
Thank you Mark, have the whistle, sussed the high value treats now just have to put it all into practice!!

AnnieA:
Thanks Mark, that's really useful.  :D  I'm planning on starting this with young Ted, just as soon as I've made some livercake, which is the only thing I can imagine being more exciting than tuna bread!

Top Barks:
Also make sure you can deliver treats (or other rewards quickly) Amazing how many people mess around with plastic bags in pockets.
A treat pouch or bum bag is a must!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version