Author Topic: Proud mumsie post  (Read 1621 times)

Offline hanandhen

Proud mumsie post
« on: March 10, 2010, 02:53:19 PM »
Went to see a trainer recommended by a member of this very forum today :shades: At first the lady was a bit unsure about young Henry being a rough tough working dog but said let's put him through his paces and see how he goes - long story short, we now have a goal of taking him on a quiet shoot day around January next year on the lead so he can see what it's all about :shades:

She says he is a bright dog and I am a competant handler :shades: :shades: And he wasn't even on his bestest best behaviour, the naughty little spud (trophy run, anyone?) ph34r

We are going back soon and we have our homework to do until then - I'm so proud of what my formerly fat, untrained little rescue dog has done  :luv: Here's hoping the best is yet to come!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Proud mumsie post
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:57:35 PM »
Aww thats fab!!!! Can understand why you're feeling so proud of the little fella!
 :clapping: well done Henry  :luv: :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »
I think you're doing really well with Henry  :luv: 

Congratulations to you both :clapping:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »
Cor loads of excitement :D :D :D

Well done, can't wait to hear how takes to it all!  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
That's great - good to have something to aim for as well :blink:

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
Very well done both of you :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline pete19873.5efi

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »
Sorry but could I ask a couple of questions:

Do you want Henry to work?

How old is he?

If you want him to work why not start training him?

What is a quiet shoot day, all mine tend to be quite noisy?
Having trained quite a few now I don’t see any value in taking a dog to a shoot unless you plan on working him or its trained. Experience comes form doing the job.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
I would understand a 'quiet' shoot day as one further into the season when the pheasants aren't so prolific  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline pete19873.5efi

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 05:56:43 PM »
If there is 1 or 10 birds to flush its all much the same to the dog if its not trained, granted the excitement level with a big flush can get to a point where the wagging tail may fall off so with the newly trained avoid the big flush days.
The real problem with quiet days is that yes thee may be less birds so its better for the dog?????? But for the Beaters and keeper there is a lot more pressure to get the last remaining birds up for the guns so the job can get harder. As I said unless you want to run the dog what’s the point?
If you want some fun with the dog find a small shoot where they look for a bag of say under 20 birds, lots more chance to get the dog real experience and can be a good day out in the country, alternatively run on some scurries at the game fair which can be real good fun.

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »
Yes, I want to work him or it would be rather pointless training him wouldn't it....? As for a quiet shoot, I mean one later in the year, and also a small friendly one as opposed to a big operation that will blow his mind. I do know my own dog ;)

Offline moola

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 08:41:25 PM »
Are you training with one of the contacts I posted...?? just being nosey :)  my trainer mentioned only today that she has just started with another wcs.....

good for you on your successful first session.  It's nice to know that after all the work you've put in you are doing thinsg right!

Lab lover who has discovered the dark side that is .... cockers!

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 09:02:43 PM »
Yes, the lady that you recommended :D Thanks for the tip!

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 07:44:01 AM »
I'm not sure how old your little man is, but it's a long time until January so if thats your goal and your're beening guided by a trainer you'll have an idea of the areas that need work. If you're 'going back soon' and have homework the trainer is obviously aware of your long term plans and will hopefully steer you in the right direction to get there.
I'm hoping to have my little man ready for september and the next few months are a whir of things we need to keep working on. I'm lucky to have a good trainer that does one to ones and a weekly group class and he's steering me in the right direction. He also does novice and advanced training days, small friendly groups that get the dogs working together. My trainer arranged for several of us to go beating last season to gain experience without our dogs and that was invaluable. I'm glad I had a chance to do that. If you haven't been beating before try to go without Henry to learn the ropes so to speak.
I've booked us on a novice beaters course (I went beating last year but it'll be good for me and an introduction to beating for Paddy) and I've booked us on a spaniel course in another area so he gets to work in lots of different places.
Good luck. Keep working at it and you'll get there. Just remember, no one ever spoilt a dog by taking it beating too late, if he's not ready in January(though there's plenty of time yet) so what, wait. Lots of people encouraged me to take Paddy to beaters day at the end of last season, my trainer and OH advised against it. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't, he just wasn't ready for it.
Milly

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 07:47:59 AM »
For some reason I posted twice :005:
Milly