Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

Submissive Urination

(1/3) > >>

Gilly:
Couldn't believe it last night, my friends brother came around to see Fudge last night as he's not seen him in ages, I have never seen Fudge like this before, he completely wet himslef all over the living room carpet and left a wee trail into the kitchen :o I keep harping on about how I think he's a dominant dog as he's never been submissive to me ever ???This man is a complete dog lover and crouched down to say hello ( he has 2 dogs himself) Fudge was so low on his belly crawling accross the carpet I'm sure he must have aquired friction burns ??? He has never been like this with anyone male or female before, even when I tell fudge NO he's still cocky and barks at me etc generally being unruly, whats my friend got that I haven't got 'cos I want some of it :D
any advice greatly appreciated                    

stueymac:
Not sure what it is exactly Gilly, but some people just seem to have an 'aura' that makes dogs submissive. Again our Libby would only behave like this with a couple of people that we know (one of my work colleagues being one of them) everyone would get the usual Libby treatment "Hello, I'm Libby, can I lick your face, bite your hands, feet, shoes, anything really, just give me some attention, NOW!"
Once, the above mentioned colleague came to the house and she did exactly what Fudge did, only managed to get onto the sofa then had a wee! Not nice! Very difficult to get a sofa in the washing machine!
This probably hasnt helped any Gilly! So if anyone has any ideas as to what makes our 'darling doggies' be submissive with some people and not others, then please fill us in!
I might add that Libby is now 3years old and no longer exhibits much submissive behaviour (except when being told off!) so I presume Fudge will 'grow out of it' too maybe?                    

Jane S:
When dogs hit adolescence, hormonal changes can make them sometimes spook or act out of character (eg submissively) at things/people they had previously had no problem with. It's usually just a phase - bitches can do it as well as dogs & the fact Fudge hadn't seen this chap for a long time just probably took him by surprise & made him come over "all peculiar".  Or it could just be that the friend's brother has the magic touch  ;D

Jane                    

joanne:
Hi Gilly,

Just to let you know, Jenna has always done this and once peed all over the delivery mans note book as he put it down to say hello to her. :-[
She doesnt do it with us anymore as we have learnt how to react to her when we first see her in a morning or when we come in from work (or shopping in my case  :)).  I have to tell people like my mum to ignore her for a while, then to say hello without bending down over her.  This seems to let her excitedness cool down abit.
It can be a bit of a pain but I'm told she will grow out of it. ;D

By the way, Jenna and Fudge are really' looky likey' on their photos aren't they.  Michele if you read this perhaps you can tell me if Jenna looks like a working cocker :o.
Maybe she really is half red setter and I've been duped. :)                    

Jane S:
Hi Joanne

Jenna looks like a Working Cocker type to me - as with show-type Cockers, you get variations (even more so with Working Cockers as breeders don't breed for appearance) but she looks similar to the Working Cockers I've seen. Her colouring looks like solid liver &  livers (chocolates) are much more common in Working lines than show lines.

Jane                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version