Author Topic: Can anybody recommend a gundog club?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
Can anybody recommend a gundog club?
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:02:21 AM »
In the Kings Lynn, Cambridge, Peterborough and anywhere in between kind of area?

I have had a look on the gundog club but wanted to see if anyone could particularly recommend someone/ a club.

Murphy's a show Cocker but we had a great time on a gundog day yesterday and the woman who took the course was impressed at how focussed he was on the dummy's and how good his retrieves were and generally how he performed against 5 retrievers. I know a lot of clubs aren't keen on the show strains but if we don't try we might be missing out on something great. I'd really like to have a go at Field Trials but we obviously need more training for that...
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
Re: Can anybody recommend a gundog club?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:06 PM »
Have you tried searching for a Gun Dog trainer in those areas?  Just a thought....our trainer runs his own little training club for puppies and then does training days from the beginners to advanced, plus private lessons in rabbit pens for steadying work and retrieving training.......a lot less informal ;)

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:53:59 PM »
Yes I have, and as I said the gundog club. I'm sure I can find one but it would be nice if I could find one someone would recommend.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »
ok sorry

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »
Can't speak for clubs, but I highly recommend On The Scent dog trainers for 1-2-1 gundog training - Sophia has really helped me with Henry.

The local club to me - can't say I'm all that keen, I've seen them doing demos and there's something off-putting about them and the way their dogs react to them. Nothing I can put my finger on, but I wouldn't bother with them, personally. PM me if you want to know more.

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »
ok sorry

No need to apologise it's just that with all the info on the internet things are easier and easier to find. But there are still some places not on the internet, in the phone book etc which are worth investigating if someone suggests them.

I have emailed Sophia about something else and she seemed really nice but although she's local now it'll be almost 1hr 30 mins to get there so if she did a one day course/weekend course it would be worthwhile going but it is a bit far (for me) to go for 1-1 sessions, especially as Murphy would probably pass every test if he could just do it on his own! In addition I wasn't keen on having to pay upfront for courses which I don't know if I'll be able to make when the time comes. E.g. I'd rather find a place that does one day courses I can book onto or a place that accepts pay-as-you-go training (which seem to be getting rarer and rarer, sadly)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 10:14:20 PM »
It's great that Murphy did so well at retrieving - I'm sure you will find a gundog club that will help you and Murphy work towards Gun Dog working tests which are an awful lot of work and will take an awful lot of training (so yes, I don't think your 1 to 1's will be enough)  ;)

Re - field trials - out of every single working cocker I know, I know of only one that has the capability of trialling and she is from very strong working lines (and no, Jarv would not be capable of trialling at all).  It is incredibly elite and difficult and requires a lot of expensive professional training.  I don't want to burst your bubble but it isn't something that good keen cockers can do - only a few are born with the sheer drive and talent to do it  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »
Don't worry you won't. It's something I'd like to train towards, if we get there we get there, if we don't I should have a much closer bond with Murphy.