Author Topic: Advise please!!!!  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Bex1982

• Site Member
  • You cant buy love, but you can buy a cocker :)
Advise please!!!!
« on: September 13, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »
I am after taking Maisie for some fun gundog trianing in or around the Southampton / Totton / New Forest area.  She is 2 1/2 and has so much energy that walking her alone just doesn't seem to stimulate her anymore so we have talked about furthering her training and trying to stimulate her with what she was bred for, even it is not what we bought her for.  It will also mean that I get to spend quailty time with her, she loves to learn and please us so think it'll be great for her!! Does anyone have any ideas, or is this idea too much ???

Thanks for your help and comments on this!!!

Becky and Maisie xx
Bex & Maisie xxx

Offline redlottie

Re: Advise please!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »
Hi
We have a working cocker who is 15 months old and whilst we dont work him we do take him to a gundog trainer, we started off doing the grade 1 through the gundog club and to say he loves it is an understatement.

Not only do the sessions add something different to his life (and ours) doing the training exercises during everyday life is fab too.  I really would thoroughly recommend it.  We started off my signing up for an 8 week course and 8 months on still do an hour session per week with the trainer.  Our trainer is over an hour away from us but even with the 2 and a half hour round trip it's worth it!!

Good luck

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »

Hi

I'm pretty local to you... Hamble Hounds certainly used to do a fun/basic gundog training class - I can't comment on it, as we haven't used them, but I have heard good things.

We went for a 1 to 1 gundog training session up at Mullenscote gundogs, but that is near Andover.  Howard was very good, and doesn't use harsh training methods, which is a consideration when you look at serious gundog trainers...

Otherwise I think Helen has done gundog training up near Salisbury, if that's easier to get to (not sure of the details, though...)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:38:04 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas, or is this idea too much ???

Thanks for your help and comments on this!!!

Becky and Maisie xx

Go for it and enjoy it - all depends on who you go to and if you both enjoy it

There are also other options to tire her out too like agility  or fly ball - I haven't done flyball, but have done and still do agility (just for fun) and gundog training

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:45:43 AM »
I would certainly NOT recommend the gundog trainer that I went too  ph34r  He was of the ilk that feel that you either have a pet or a worker - they can't be both - and that to get Jarv's focus I should only lead walk him for a year and only let him off on a walk to do 3 or 4 retrieves.  He also believed in using a slip lead as a discipline aid and would advocate yanking the lead (and worse) as part of getting your dogs attention.  Needless to say I had only 1 one to one with him.

I'd like to persuade Nicola to come and live in this part of the country and start gundog training  ;)

Karma's one near Andover sounds good and I know that Fun for dogs at Pitton do basic gundog training too.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:32:11 AM »
I struggled to find a "fun" gun dog trainer. They all took it rather seriously and were strong advocates of making your dog behave through shouting and hitting.  >:( It really didnt appeal to me as I wanted a fun hobby and that style of training wouldnt be fun for me or my dogs.

Ive done a few sessions with my obedience trainer on specifically gun dog activities but I know shes never worked a dog herself so doesnt have the hands on experience but she does have some ideas for fun activities and as Im not taking it any further its not a problem for me.

Ive also read some brilliant books to give me further ideas for exercises. "Clicker gundog" by Helen Phillips in the learning about dogs series is really good and gives alot of good training exercises

My advise would be to go and see a class before joining and make sure that the dogs and owners are enjoying themselfs and that you agree with the training methods being used

Offline Bex1982

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »
wow, thanks for all the replies, I will start looking into some of these suggestions, and, obviously, will steer clear of others  ;)   :005:  I am wanting to do it more as a fun thing than actually taking her on shoots, so will definately have a good look about now!!!  I have tried agility with Maisie before and she loved it but it was quite a way to travel for us so we gave it up, which was such a shame because Maisie had such fun there!!  Now I am moving to Hampshire I have decided that I want to make her life more fun and give her a rountine to look forward to!!  I may even take agility up as well as gundog training!!!!  I'm trying to get fit too if you hadn't guessed!!!!
Bex & Maisie xxx

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:02:09 AM »
There are plenty of gundog trainers out there that are positive. I just love mine  :luv: and my 3 dogs have loads of fun with her even if we are never going to trial or even work on a shoot (though I suppose we might do in the future, but it's not why we do the training).
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »
I've haven't done it with my cocker but I have a rescue Weimaraner and Weim Rescue run great gun dog training mornings very near me (Weims only) which I've been lucky enough to go to although not recently and we really miss it!!!! Their approach is to shout at the owners rather than the dogs :005: The dogs learn more from watching the experienced dogs rather than us trying to train them cold.. I don't know if that works more for different breeds but Normy loves it as she's a stubborn mare and doesn't like being told what to do (not hugely helpful :005:) but loves being allowed to do what she was designed for and watching the other Weims work was all the cue she needed :luv: It's not hugely disciplined but really suits us and she loves it. Plus it happens in fields and woods rather than a training school and she gets to jump massive fences and styles which is also her favorite thing to do :005: so it's a lot more relaxed and less stressful for her :luv:

As to if being 'right' for your dog, I've always felt that if your dog shows interest in something then go for it, if they're not keen then don't force it, find something they do love ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »
As Karma suggested - Hamble Hounds are very good. I have been to a couple of their outdoor classes and we enjoyed them - just didn't get round to doing the gundog class!

http://www.hamblehounds.com/10.html

definitely worth a go :D

Offline Bex1982

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice!!!  I have contacted Hamble Hounds so fingers crossed Maisie will enjoy it!!   :D

I have been looking at others and am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any within the New Forest, maybe I am just looking in the wrong place though!!!

Thanks again everyone xxx   :luv:
Bex & Maisie xxx