Author Topic: Stop Whistle?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
Stop Whistle?
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
Hey guys me again.

I was wondering if there's anyway I can get Marlee, when I blow the whistle to stop, turn round and sit facing me. I've seen Mark do it (TopBarks) with Alife. At the moemnt Marlee stops and sits where he is, and his back is faceing me, not his front, if you get me?

Any help will be much appricated.

Thanks!
-Alex

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
Re: Stop Whistle?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:38:35 PM »
You could try calling him back to you and then have something like a tennis ball or dummy in your hand - throw this up in the air and then blow your stop whistle - and keep doing this for a while as this will encourage him to be looking at you as you might be about to do something interesting for him to see.

Or go back a step or two and retrain the stop whistle with a hand command in close surroundings - using the hand quite high near your face and blowing the stop again....encouraging again for him to be making eye contact.

The top one had great results for us ;)

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »
You could try calling him back to you and then have something like a tennis ball or dummy in your hand - throw this up in the air and then blow your stop whistle - and keep doing this for a while as this will encourage him to be looking at you as you might be about to do something interesting for him to see.

I do this with treats. I started with them being a little distance away I beconed them over (i dont use my recall que as I dont want to break my recall and have them expecting a stop command when I do in fact want the full recall). As they run towards me I raise my arm above my head and toss treats behind them. After a few goes they will start to stop automatically when my hand goes over my head with anticipation of a treat.

Once they;ve got the idea add the  verbal stop que. Once its gone in with them coming towards you, Ive been doing it with them at heel and im just moving on to getting them to stop as they're walking away from me.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:06:56 AM »
That's pretty much the way i did it too.
I started Alfie off in my kitchen, we also use a tennis ball as well as food as Alfie is a ball obsessed demon

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:42 PM »
I'm doing this through play with his favourite ball. I pretend to throw it, he runs off looking for it, then as he realises and turns to face me I lift the ball into the air, take one pace towards him and blast the whistle (at first I would yell sit, then blast). When he sits I go to him, praise him and really throw the ball.

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll give that a go and see how we get on.  :D