Author Topic: Gun dog training exercises to try  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Sarah1985

Gun dog training exercises to try
« on: October 06, 2010, 12:09:41 PM »
Our agility class stops for the winter as of next week so I wanted to go back to dong some gun dog exercises, which both my two love and its a good winter activity and is great mix of exercise and training.

Both my two do a basic retrieve, including waits and retrieving from various degrees of undergrowth. They can also do stops, stays, sits, heel work ect.

Can anyone recomend anywhere I can take my training next?

So far my plan is
-increase the density of undergrowth the retrieves are done for
-water retrieves
-introduce scented retrieves?
But thats it and Im sure theres more I could be doing......

Also Dexter retrieving does seem to have fallen to tossing the dummy in my direction rather than putting it in my hand. I suspect my OH's been letting him get away with this  >:( but Does anyone have any ideas how I can get him retrieve consistantly to my hand again? Is it just a case of waiting it out and not accepting the dummy unless he places it in my hand?

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Gun dog training exercises to try
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 12:50:18 PM »
My two love blind retrieves, i.e hide the dummy without them seeing where it is (is that what you meant by scented retrieve?) and that really gets their brains going too... I say my two, I probably mean Normy she's absolutely ace at them - Dave's not so hot at those :005:

They're great ones to practice in the garden or around the house too but if you have time hide dummy's out on a walk before you take the dogs or get someone else to do it while you distract the dogs. Don't make them too tricky to start with so they get the idea and get them focused before they start and you can also try sending them in the right direction with hand signals etc..

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »
what about directional cues which you eventually progress to distance or working on hunting pattern ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 02:02:45 PM »
I would also work on directional commands and you can then send them out to blind retrieves and then you can progress to double blinds etc. If they don't already quarter/hunt properly I'd do that too and you can then have them hunting for stuff you've planted along the way. Start to combine hunting and retrieving as they should blend in together.

You could also work on their stop to shot and you can combine that with a retrieve. I have a starting pistol but more often than not I use party poppers, they're cheap to buy and make a surprisingly loud crack when you set them off. Obviously you have to take all the stuff out of them first as you don't want it littered all over the place but they still work perfectly well. Get the dog hunting in front of you and have a party popper and a dummy in your hands, at the appropriate moment pop the popper and - this is the important bit - at the exact same moment throw the dummy as far out as you can. The dog should instantly stop and mark where the dummy has landed and you can either then direct them to the retrieve or hunt them on a bit more and then send them back etc. etc. It takes a bit of practice to pop the popper and throw the dummy at the same time but once you've got it it's easy enough to do it in one sort of sweeping motion.

This is also a good exercise to do if you can get a helper in, you hunt the dog and they stand out somewhere in front and pop the popper and throw the dummy - if you're always training your dog by yourself they can become used to the idea that all retrieves come from you when in reality on a shoot or in a trial it never comes from you, they retrieve what the guns shoot, and in a field test they retrieve the dummies launched by the judges so it's important for them to get used to marking something thrown/shot by someone else that you send them out to. Start off by having them throw it so it's relatively easy for the dog to find, let them be able to see it the first few times and then you can up the complexity by having them throw it into heavier cover so the dog has to actively search for it.

Hunt the dog up towards a small obstacle (fence, wall, ditch etc.) then have your glamourous assistant 'fire the shot' and throw the dummy out past the obstacle and then send the dog out so not only do they have to go out for the retrieve and negotiate the obstacle but they also have to find the dummy as they won't have seen exactly where it landed.

Hunt the dog out in front of you, pop the popper and throw the dummy out into cover but then whistle them to turn and hunt them back the way they came before stopping them and sending them back for the retrieve. This really tests a) their control and obedience and b) their memory.

Sit the dog down and throw a dummy out behind them over their head and one out to either side. Send them out in a random pattern to retrieve each dummy but sometimes stop whistle them when they're halfway there and redirect them back to one of the other dummies. Sometimes pick one of the dummies yourself while they wait. This is a great control and direction exercise. Put the dummies out in a similar pattern without the dog seeing and then direct them out to get them one at a time, they have to learn to trust your directions even if they haven't seen what's there.

When the dog is returning to you with a retrieve throw another dummy out over their head or to the side as a distraction, they should continue back to you with the retrieve they've got.

On the delivery to hand if he was doing this consistently before it's just a matter of not accepting anything else. I never pick up anything my dogs drop on the ground, they have to put it in my hand. I say 'nah' (which they know) and shift back slightly and hold my hand out again so they pick up whatever it is and put it in my hand.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 04:38:49 PM »
Thanks. (especially Nicola) Theres some really good ideas there for me to try.

Yea i mean blind retrieves not scented retrieves. I started teaching them following a scenting workshop and thats what they refered to it as (as opposed to a "scent and mark" where they arent allowed to touch the item and just indicate its there) but the theorys the same.

The "hunting" and directional ques ive been doing but over relatively short distances and close to me as thats how we were encouraged to teach it for sniffing (a police sniffer dog wouldnt ever be asked to leave stray too far from its handler) but as I dont intend to do ever work by dogs as sniffer dogs I think ill start increasing the distance to suit this training.