Author Topic: Stiffening up at lunchtime?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline hanandhen

Stiffening up at lunchtime?
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:01:11 AM »
Took Henry out again yesterday and he did this - just wondering if there is anything further I can do to prevent it.

It was a wet day although warmer than it has been (a whole 3oC - practically beach weather!) so he was quite soggy when we got back for lunch. He went into the car, I put his coat on him, which is a warmwick coat that covers his quarters well, made sure he had a dry fleecy blanket to sit on, and then 10 mins later went and turned on the engine so the heaters could run full blast. However when he got out again he was very stiff through his back end, and it took him a few minutes to loosen off - I let him have a run as we walked to the first drive and he was quite lame to start but as he moved he improved and he was absolutely fine all afternoon. He showed no sign of this on the last shoot, which was on a cold but dry day.

When we got back he was thoroughly dried, had a small hot feed and then after he had pottered about the kitchen a bit he was put into his crate for some enforced resting time, and he was absolutely fine when he came out again. He is also fine this morning, judging by the number of times I have had to shoo him off the sofa (we are at my parents' house for Christmas, and they are not quite so easygoing about their furniture as I am).

He is a lean fit dog with plenty of muscle on his quarters, although it is hard at this time of year to give him quite as much exercise as in summer, as there is nowhere I can walk him in the dark off-lead that feels safe.

I was told by the rescue centre that his hips are not great, but they have not troubled him in two years of owning him at all, and although we have only just started going beating, we have walked up the odd mountain with no ill effects, even in cold and wet weather.

I have started giving him cod liver oil and will also be giving him a glucosamine supplement once I can get to the shop.

Is there anything else to be done? Do you think he had just cramped up a bit in the wet?

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
Re: Stiffening up at lunchtime?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
He possibly had a touch of cramp. Try rubbing his leg muscles vigorously next time to see if that helps. It probably happened because he was wet and cold when he was popped in the car. Possibly a bit of toweling off before he has his coat put on and put in the car
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
Will try that if it happens again, thanks :)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:28:06 PM »
Is he in good condition for hunting? It is very athletic and demanding on a dogs body, so you may need to start a more formal conditioning programme.

Also make sure he is well hydrated during the hunt, if he will not drink then carry a water bottle and give him a couple of squirts in his mouth.  I would also add some electrolytes to the water if he is hunting hard, and carry some high protein snacks to give him throughout the day.

Especially on cold wet days , towel dry him as best you can then put his coat on and walk him for a bit to cool down his muscles before putting him up in the crate or car. But even on warm days, walk for a bit before putting him up  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 04:40:16 PM »
Is he in good condition for hunting? It is very athletic and demanding on a dogs body, so you may need to start a more formal conditioning programme.

Also make sure he is well hydrated during the hunt, if he will not drink then carry a water bottle and give him a couple of squirts in his mouth.  I would also add some electrolytes to the water if he is hunting hard, and carry some high protein snacks to give him throughout the day.

Especially on cold wet days , towel dry him as best you can then put his coat on and walk him for a bit to cool down his muscles before putting him up in the crate or car. But even on warm days, walk for a bit before putting him up  :shades:

Agree here......maybe he just did a bit too much on his outing - although it's difficult to see that when they get going eh!! :lol2:.we had to really train up Alfie to be fit enough - even then, we started him only on half days.  He just didn't have the stamina to begin with.

Even before a shoot, oh still takes the dogs out for a 20 minute spin around the park before he goes just to loosen everything up.

I think that dogs that work all day have to have a different level of fitness.  I don't necessarily mean other dogs aren't fit but that often, they wouldn't go at it for as long a time?

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:43:49 PM »
He's a pretty fit dog, but I'm sure there is always more we can do on that front. We do walk from drive to drive though, so he had pottered back before getting in the car, but will take an extra towel to rub him down next time - I stupidly forgot an extra one yesterday, so had to leave it at lunchtime so I could dry him at the end of the day :embarassed:. We do have a pre-shoot hoon as well to try and work some of the crazy off him (this never works :005:).

I will take some snacks for him next time (mind you he always shares my lunch anyway :005:)