Author Topic: Recall problems  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Rosigirl

Recall problems
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:30:47 PM »
I have a 7month old golden working cocker bitch. She has a fantastic FTCh pedigree and I have started with gundog trainer Chris Burns - puppy class and individual fortnightly lessons. I am told she shows real promise and she is a quick learner. However I just cannot get her to recall from a distance and have lost my confidence since losing her in woods for 15 mins when she came back minus her collar. I can do a short training sessions getting her to hunt for balls in long grass etc and she naturally quarters close to me for about 3 mins and then she just takes off at great speed and ignores the stop and recall whistles - and my calls. She is a beautiful affectionate dog and stays close to me at home but not in the woods and fields when her instinct takes over big time!

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
Re: Recall problems
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Chris is our trainer too....infact, we got both our Cockers via Chris.

Have you told him your problems?  He's got loads of advice to offer.....we couldn't get Finn to stop until he taught us how to throw a dummy or tennis ball in the air at the same time as the stop whistle.....he's gots of tips up his sleeve.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »
Can you give us a few more, I call it selective hearing :005: even high value treats are not as nice as the freedom >:D

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:51:35 PM »
Keep her out of woods  :shades:

You need to have her 100% on recall and stop whistles before you have her in such a high distraction enviroment.

Offline harveyroan

• little harvey
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:21:54 PM »
Well I have a 10month worker and have been having the same problems. He's always been 100% in the past but has recently "gone Deaf", not only to recall but the stop whistle as well. Around the home/garden he will walk to heel off lead brilliantly, recall, and stop on a dime. I can also recall him stop him mid way and recall him in.

I've kind of gone back to basics and doing more training in the garden and put a line on him if I do take him out. He's even started to bolt when his lead comes off and he's usually very steady. I'm hoping it's just a phase as all his training has been going so well.

we go to a group training day once a week and this week I put him in a sit and as he's been so steady in the past took his lead off DOH he bolted and picked up a pheasants head :020: from the pervious days shooting and would he come back >:D