Author Topic: Dogging in  (Read 3498 times)

Offline hanandhen

Dogging in
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:13:33 PM »
I would really like to find somewhere local that I could take Henry dogging in round the boundaries, to start gettng him a bit steadier to the flush (at the moment, he flushes the first one then I lose him until the end of the drive >:() How would you go about finding somewhere? The shoot I take him to is not local to where I live, so can't ask them, unfortunately.

Offline mark1

Re: Dogging in
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
I would really like to find somewhere local that I could take Henry dogging in round the boundaries, to start gettng him a bit steadier to the flush (at the moment, he flushes the first one then I lose him until the end of the drive >:() How would you go about finding somewhere? The shoot I take him to is not local to where I live, so can't ask them, unfortunately.
OMG thought I was on the wrong forum then, phew 

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:32 PM »
 :005:
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
any local gamekeeper you can contact?  I would also probably look on NOBs (there you go, that'll provoke another comment from Mark1  ph34r ) http://www.nobs.org.uk/ as well to see if there is anything local in your area. Dogging-in happens when the pheasants start to roam from their release pens which usually coincides with harvest (late aug/early sep)

helen & jarvis x

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
Take your minds from the gutter, you 'orrible lot >:D :005:

Thanks Helen :blink:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:02:26 PM »
Woops, shows how little i know about shooting etc.... i also got the wrong idea :lol2: phew :013: :005:.

Good luck though, Hannah :blink:
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »

:lol2: :lol2: R u sure that's the right terminology?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:00:46 AM »

absolutely sure and the term "dogging-in" has been in use in this way for much longer than the more modern 'definitiion'. 

It's a bit of a shame that gundog owners aren't aware of the whole process  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline mark1

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 08:24:31 AM »

absolutely sure and the term "dogging-in" has been in use in this way for much longer than the more modern 'definitiion'. 

I know, I'm quite ignorant of things really. I used to own a Staffie and was never sure of all the terms used in dogfighting. 

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »

I know, I'm quite ignorant of things really. I used to own a Staffie and was never sure of all the terms used in dogfighting. 

I guess it is strange to some that cockers are still used for their original 'purpose' - I'm sure with the research you'll be doing over the next few years about dogs you'll know more about their origins and continued 'jobs'  :D 
helen & jarvis x

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »

I guess it is strange to some that cockers are still used for their original 'purpose' - I'm sure with the research you'll be doing over the next few years about dogs you'll know more about their origins and continued 'jobs'  :D 

Sorry, like a little light hearted joke. I owned a single barrel at 17, side by side at 18 and over and under at 20 till I saw the light. So I know a little about gundogs and their different uses. I only shoot with a camera now. Our original cocker was pure show bred being out of a Glencora bitch by Colinwood Silver Lariot. What fun we had with him as he tried his very best but just wouldn't pick up but stood on the birds or game. Farmers and gamekeepers used to phone my old pop up to deal with fields full of rabbits (we had rifles too). I hardly ever see rabbits or hares in such quantity now. What's happened?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 07:56:44 PM »
The answer to that one Loudon is myxomatosis  :'( :'( :'(

Although at some stages of the year we seem to have a surfeit of rabbits in Wiltshire and I'm still amazed when I see a hare tearing along the plains (still some around, not as many)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 11:36:29 PM »
The answer to that one Loudon is myxomatosis  :'( :'( :'(

Although at some stages of the year we seem to have a surfeit of rabbits in Wiltshire and I'm still amazed when I see a hare tearing along the plains (still some around, not as many)

Suppose done with best of intentions. >:(

Tonight I am just in. Walked round Chaterhault with pal and dogs. Walked along old oaks saw mallards and a heron in R Avon, Fox, rabbit (1) and as many wee birds as you want. The white cattle were in their fields with the sheep. Best of all bats swooping around us. Don't know much about bats but my friend said they were pipisdrel (hmm, dunno spelling). Dusk about 11pm. Marvellous, great to be alive tonight.