Author Topic: beef bones  (Read 1185 times)

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
beef bones
« on: July 22, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
Hi a question ........ 

Is it ok to feed beef bones to zoe.  Never done it before but happened apon them in morrisons today.  they are quite small with some beef on them.  Is it safe to give her them and if so do you cook them first  :P

want to check first  :-\
thanks

lynn
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: beef bones
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:05:21 PM »
Beef bones can be very hard and may break the teeth.

Definately DONT cook them, all bones should be given raw.

They are alright to chew on for a short while.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
If you want to feed raw bones give bones from young animal like lamb or goat and take some ribs for example not the bones from legs, like ladylola says these bones are to hard an can do damage to the teeth. All bones from beef are all to hard.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:39:26 PM »
thanks for the advice, have not given her them. will look for softer bones

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 08:47:35 PM »
I've learnt from this thread too, wouldn't have known that beef bones are a bad choice  :huh:

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
Edit: if you want to give ribs makes sure that you always give a couple of ribs (4 or more) never give a singel rib, they can swallow them in one piece and that can be very dangerous. The rib can get stuck in the stomach an cause an obstruction.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline praia

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 04:55:26 AM »
Dogs can eat the bones off of any animal.  What's important is the size of the bone (choking hazard) and the density of the bone (danger to teeth).

Beef bones are fine as long as you stay away from weight bearing bones that are far too dense and can easily crack teeth. My dogs eat beef ribs and beef/oxen tails.   A single rib is fine as long as it's big enough that the dog can't swallow it whole. If the bones are small I wouldn't risk giving it.  Better safe than sorry.

Dogs should always be closely supervised when given raw meaty bones.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »

Honey's had single beef ribs before...  ;)  She would be the size of a house if she got 4 or more ribs in one go!!  :005:
She doesn't manage to eat all of them, but she really enjoys giving it a go.
I wouldn't give them regularly, as they could wear away teeth, but every now and again they're fine.

Larger beef bones are also fine as recreational bones - again just not too often.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »

Honey's had single beef ribs before...  ;)  She would be the size of a house if she got 4 or more ribs in one go!!  :005:
She doesn't manage to eat all of them, but she really enjoys giving it a go.
I wouldn't give them regularly, as they could wear away teeth, but every now and again they're fine.

Larger beef bones are also fine as recreational bones - again just not too often.

I mean 4 ribs of lamb or goat, if you feed your dog ones a day, these goat or lambribs are much smaller than beefribs.
Beefribs are to big to swallow in one piece but still I wouldn't recommand beefbones at al.. to big and to hard, but if you want to take the risk... be my guest.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »

Sorry, but Honey only gets one lamb rib as a meal.... and if she has pork ribs, it's a single one, too...
They're plenty big enough to need crunching down to eat...

I agree you need to look at size of bones - I stopped giving Honey oxtail because she was swallowing smaller bits whole, but larger bits were jamming on her palate... but that doesn't mean no dog should be fed oxtail, just that it didn't suit my dog.  Ribs can vary in size, but I have never yet bought one that looked small enough that Honey would swallow it whole...

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 10:06:16 PM »
Both my dogs swallowed a singel goatrib which was about 18cm.... even do I was with them all the time they chewed for only one minute and them swallowed the rib.... I spend days watching them, looking if they where alright not formatting and check there poo.... It worried sick.... never do that again. Luckily they where allright.

I said it before I wouldn't recommend it, my opinion is better safe than sorry... but be my guest!
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun