Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

Cocker problems...

(1/4) > >>

Barry Sharpe:
Hi Guy's

Sorry for not being around but my work has taken over these last few month's.

I have a problem, george how golden Cocker has taken to biting. he is now 8 month's old. This started on a particularly troublesome day we were having with him. I through this forum already new about his teenage tendancies and just gave him a little more lenency than ushal.

Anyway on to the problem. George had manged to get hold of a sponge that he should not have had. he immediatly run for the bed and got under it with said sponge in mouth. Without even thinking i got my arm under the bed and took the sponge out of his mouth. Next thing growles were heard and he attacked my hand he even drew blood. I manged to get hold of him and said firmly NO! then NO! again he left the room still growling. All that day he was at odds if i even went near him he growled. The next day he was better but from hear on in he growls sometimes without provocation. If he gets himself into a corner when he has something in his mounth he growls. This has caused hesitation amongst steph our 14 year old girl and my wife who now seem wary of him. To be honest even i think twice now before getting something out of his mouth.

He was at training classes but the people who ran it have now stopped. So we are in the middle of finding another class for him. but i must admit to being at a loss as to how to regain his confidence in me and to stop him growling.

Ideas would be most wellcome
Best
Barry                    

FionaM:
Hi Barry good to see you again :)

I'm no expert at things like this but my dog trainer always says you should never just take something from a dog, you should teach them to "give" it to you. If you just take something you can inadvertantly teach them to guard things.

I started to do this by calling Poppy to me in a happy, cheerful voice (you can fake cheerful whilst gritting your teeth ;)) and having a treat in one hand (or something that the dog would want more than whatever it is they've got) and show the dog the treat and get them to focus on that. As you take the thing from the dog with the other hand say "give" and as you are taking it give them the treat and praise them in a happy voice. You are aiming to reward the dog for giving something to you.

My dog  quite quickly realised that "giving" something to me when I tell her brings a reward and usually gives things back no problem.

Hope this helps, sounds like George is hitting the teenage stage - poor you  :)

Fiona                    

Barry Sharpe:
Thanks fiona,

That is a great help. it seems so simple but i was definatly at a loss as to what to do. typical male really go in full on without even thinking what george thinks about this big hand comming at him. The funny thing is i new it was the wrong approach the momment i did it. but still did it anyway should have figured the reult really. Hopefully i have done no permanent dammage.

Thank again Fiona :)                    

FionaM:
Barry I'm sure you won't have done any permanent damage :)

I definitely found the best way for me to handle Poppy is to pretend I'm cheerful (even if I'm furious) and coax her into doing what I want her to do rather than confronting her.

Sometimes it feels good to get one over on her, even if she doesn't realise it  ;D                    

Jane S:
Nice to see you back Barry :) What a shame your training classes finished - they sounded so well-run & adolescence is often the time you need them most so I hope you find another trainer soon. I agree with Fiona's advice - far better to train George to give "trophies" up to you than to confront him. Sounds like his confidence in you has been shaken as well as yours in him. I'm sure it's not permanent though & with a little work, you can get over this. Good luck!                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version