Author Topic: How to start training?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Beezzzkneez

How to start training?
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »
Maike is two months old today and I can already see that she loves bringing things back that I chuck out. I plan on taking her to gundog training somewhere down the line but for now we're just playing 'bring back' games in the kitchen. Her breeder trains dogs for Field Trials but I've got neither the ambition nor the experience for that, but I would like to do scurries with her once she's older.

I was just wondering whether there's a special way I should go about playing fetch games with her? I've seen working dog handlers complaining about their dogs getting 'spoilt' by people just chucking random balls for them and not having to do the retrieve properly - but she's so young all I am interested in is stimulating that natural urge she has to retrieve, not in structured training.

So, to sum up, is just chucking her weird looking rattling toy and telling her to 'bring back' fine for now?
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11

Offline SteveB

• Donator
Re: How to start training?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:50:07 AM »
Yes no problems with that.
What we used to do with Lulu and now Tia is work on the sit and stay command using treats to enforce (they soon learn). Then we bought a puppy dummy from online and nistead of getting her to return toys we brought the dummy into play rewarding them when they brought it back (after a while praise is enough). Only do it for a couple of minutes to start with. Always put  the dummy away after use so they think the dummy is special and just leave them with their normal toys. All I can say is make it as much fun as you can for both the dog and you. Somebody once said to me the difference between cockers and Springers (see you made me say that word) is that Cockers you ask Sprrrs you tell. In our experience is that is very true so dont expect to much scurrying :005: (see my past reports but woudnt swap them for the world)

Offline Anita D

• Dog Walker Cheltenham & Tewkesbury
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:24:20 AM »
I have found the Gundog Club's Puppy Manual invaluable and can highly recommend.  :D
Dog Walker in Cheltenham & Tewkesbury.  Owned by Paddy & Fergus

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »
I have found the Gundog Club's Puppy Manual invaluable and can highly recommend.  :D

Did you get this online? I too would be interested in this manual.

Eve

Offline Beezzzkneez

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
I've got it on my list for next month - between the pup, a broken freezer and needing heating oil plus all the dog toys and tschotchkes it's high time pay day comes round!  :005:

Eve, look here : http://www.thegundogclub.co.uk/shop/index.html
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11