Author Topic: Some scurry basics for fun!  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Some scurry basics for fun!
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »
Ok now we have our fields to play in  :banana: I would love to do some scurry training with Harry just to try to use some of the excess energy up if nothing else!  Over the summer we have been throwing a dummy into the bracken on the moors and sending him to find it, which he loves to do, he will wait and go on command to pick it up, but often drops it on his way back to us as he is focused on what scrummy treat he is going to get  ;)

He is a show cocker so obviously not expecting great things from him  ;)  but I am assuming show cockers still have some working instincts, and he certainly seems keen and enjoys it which is the main thing. 

Please can someone reccomend a book/DVD that is suitable for complete begninners but will give us some things to practice.  I don't know if I would ever have the courage to enter him into anything, but at Chatsworth this year there were several show cockers in the novice scurry and some did really well and others just seemed to be having a good time!  

Offline SteveB

• Donator
Re: Some scurry basics for fun!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 05:45:20 AM »
Even though Andrea and I both had experience with training dogs to a standard (was invited with the GSD to attend Crufts on an agility team). We found it quite hard training the first one from books etc once we got her doing basic retrieves. So we paid for a lesson for pointers more than anything. Which was really helpful. We also met a really nice guy who took Andrea under her wing. Tia has been so much easier and is already giving lulu a run for her money at the last couple of shows we attended. Can't wait for the new season to start to see what she can do.
Sounds like you are doing well already. What we did with the dropping of the dummy is a couple of times a day. You sit with him put the dummy in his mouth let him hold it for a couple of seconds then take it off him and reward (we only use praise but that is our choice). If he drops it just pick it up and put it back in his mouth. He will learn quite quickly.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Some scurry basics for fun!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 05:59:05 AM »
What we did with the dropping of the dummy is a couple of times a day. You sit with him put the dummy in his mouth let him hold it for a couple of seconds then take it off him and reward (we only use praise but that is our choice). If he drops it just pick it up and put it back in his mouth. He will learn quite quickly.

Good advice - also the other factor is that you have answred your own question really but often drops it on his way back to us as he is focused on what scrummy treat he is going to get 

I, like SteveB. paid for lessons for help and tips, as agree it's easy to watch a video but to have a trainer watch you and explain what's happening and where it is going wrong is well worth the money - like children every dog is different

Good luck as sounds like you are both having fun and that is the main thing  :D