Author Topic: Barking  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Michelle

• Site Member
Barking
« on: December 26, 2002, 05:05:19 AM »
Its been a while since i visited this site, lost it because of a pc crash.  So lovely to see my little girl still in "rogues gallery".

Well the reason for writing is the NOISE - she is 3 1/2 years old and when we go for a walk she is so noisy, its like a scream really, so painful to the ears!!

When we get out the door its then constant barking - its like she is telling me to hurry up!

Eventually she will quieten down until we get to the field where she will bark at me again to throw her toy.

Getting the jist of who is "top dog"  ::)

Yes she sleeps with me, i have tried really hard to stop but she gives such great cuddles - i find it impossible.  But all this bossiness and noise is getting beyond a joke really.

Anyone else suffer with a noisy cocker or got any ideas.                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Barking
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 01:40:38 PM »
My springer does the same as Maddy - she's normally as quiet as a mouse indoors, but when we take our (more or less) daily trip to epping forest in the car, she cant contain her excitement. Like you say, it's quite high-pitched loud barking, you wouldnt think such a little thing could produce so many decibels! ;D She doesnt stop until we arrive, then she's off chasing the birds for an hour :)

So I'm not sure that there's much you can do Michelle - it's not really problem behaviour, I dont think it's a display of dominance as such (so I wouldnt worry about that) - to me it sounds more like exciteable doggy behaviour that some dogs just exhibit a bit more than others. If she was doing the same in the house, then I'd be more conerned  ;)                    

Offline markjcage

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2002, 12:18:45 AM »
I met a veterinary nurse in the park with a 'barking cocker'.  She held a remote control which she pressed when the dog barked it sprayed water or something from the dog's collar. She said it had only taken a couple of times before the dog learned to stop barking. previously, she used to bark constantly when she was out (the dog, not the nurse).
Being a cocker, however, the dog still 'tested' the collar once each walk because sometimes it runs out of water.                    

Offline Michelle

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2003, 03:16:02 AM »
thanks for your replies.
i have invested in a gadget that goes on the collar
which emits a high pitched sound when she barks.
Not sure that she will actually hear it over her noise  ;)
but will give it ago sometime.
Will let you know how i get on.
Michelle                    

Offline barbara

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2003, 11:50:11 PM »
We have an orange cocker which we got from the animal shelter 21/2 years ago.  The problem is the more attention she gets, the more she wants.  She yelps and yelps at night or anytime she has to go out to the garden. When indoors she is happy to curl up or be groomed or played with.  We have a bark inhibitor collar which isn't as effective as we were led to believe.  We would really appreciate any tips from other owners.  If the yelping doesn't stop we will have to re-home her and that is the last thing we want to do. Please help...
Barbara                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Barking
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2003, 09:42:00 AM »
Hi Barbara

Has your Cocker behaved like this since you got her over 2 years ago? If so, then you have an awful lot of learned behaviour to overcome which is going to take time. If she hasn't always been like this, then can you think of when it started & what triggered it? It sounds like she is only noisy when you are not around (ie at night & in the garden) in which case you may have a separation anxiety problem - she wants to be with you all the time. Is she noisy when you leave her to go out? Such problems are less likely to be cured by the anti-bark collars because the collars are not addressing the cause of her behaviour ie her insecurity. If she was like this when you had her, then it could be one of the reasons she was put up for rehoming - making this problem deep-rooted. If you could give a bit more information confirming whether the behaviour only happens when your dog is alone, then we can perhaps give you some advice.                    
Jane

Offline emmaandsid

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 12:38:01 AM »
Hi Michelle, ???

I too have a cocker which was rescued and he is driving us crazy with his barking.

I have just ordered the collar you mentioned, how are you finding it?

Sidney also get s quite aggressive with dogs when we are out so I am hoping it will help with that as well,

Emma ???