Author Topic: Ferreting dog  (Read 2302 times)

Offline terryd

• Site Member
Ferreting dog
« on: December 18, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »
Hi I have a 5 year old cocker who has all ways been a house dog. But recently I have got back into ferreting but I really miss having a marking dog too mark the holes.
Would it be possible too turn our house dog into a worker at his age ?
When I returned last night with a couple of rabbits from the long net he gets really excited by them. I also hid one in the house and told him too find it which he did in short time so rabbits do hold an interest for him.
My other issue would be stock training as of course he would need too be a 100%
I suspect there is only going too be one way too find this out but just looking for any pointers and advice.
Thanks
Terry

Offline SteveB

• Donator
Re: Ferreting dog
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 03:44:11 PM »
A friend of ours has a 9 year old Springer never done anything with her apart from normal exercise. She came to watch Andrea compete with our dogs and after, she asked if it was worth having a go with her dog.  The very first time she ever saw a dummy and after Andrea did a couple of short retrieves with her, within an hour or two she was retrieving blinds and also retrieving in water. In our opinion they are never to old to start
It is bred into them and you will probably be surprised how well he will do (possibly easier with an older dog less loopy).

Offline terryd

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 07:59:40 PM »
Thanks Steve I have taken him out a few times and was amazed that he seems too put up wood cock and takes a great interest in them. As for the rabbiting side of things I have yet too get him in a location that has a lot of rabbits so he can flush one and hopefully view one. The reason being I am a bit limited where I can go while stock training him.
I walked him through sheep the other day and he barked too start with but after a tug on his extendible lead he ignored them. The sheep in this field did not run away. But I don't know how he would behave off a lead and if they did run so until that is sorted I have too be careful.
But yes he does have a hunting instinct that's fore sure. Tonight for example on our walk while on a lead he went nuts and wanted too dive into a hedge I have never seen him that excited before he was whimpering and all sorts with his tail going like mad. I think it must have been a fox that had just nipped across the path.
Any way any stock training advice welcome :)

Offline PippaMattinson

• Site Member
    • Pippa Mattinson
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »
Hi Terry

It is never too late to turn a house dog into a worker.  This season I have introduced two dogs  to shooting (a lab and a cocker) that spent the first four years of their lives as pets. 

We take our dogs ferreting as a steadiness exercise.   The dogs just sit and watch the action.  We do find that not all dogs mark holes naturally though,  but I am sure you will have fun finding out!

Pippa

Offline terryd

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »
Well to update things he is certainly not lacking in hunting instinct. He put up two pheasants yesterday out of very thick cover. he also marks to a degree I find it is easier to spot if he is on a long lead because he will put his head down the hole his tail goes mad but if off the lead he will then start belting around like a headless chicken.
But my main issue is his excitement I just can't keep him calm. From the moment he see's me getting the gear ready he starts wining and by the time we get on site and he hears the car stop he is getting frantic. If I keep him on the lead he pulls like mad making right racket or if I let him off he belts around yapping and squeaking.

This is all my fault from lack of initial training but I am not sure how to proceed from hear. I think he gets a lot of it off me. I took him to a dog trainer once and in my hands he was yapping like mad at other dogs but with the trainer he was completely different dog.
Be a shame for him to miss out on what he really enjoys doing