Author Topic: Best gun dog trainging books  (Read 3077 times)

Offline seaangler

Best gun dog trainging books
« on: January 28, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
Whos books are the best to read in your opinion....Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Best gun dog trainging books
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »
Eric Begbie - Gundog training made easy. Loved it, easy to follow and its positive training methods.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline west

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »
I really fancy getting the Hawcroft Gundogs Cocker DVD set.  I have heard brilliant reports about it - I am just nervous about spending £100 for it!! I think I will wait til we are in the frame for another pup and get it then.

I have the Joe Irving book and it is very good.  Got it for a bargain price at a second hand book store.

Offline emma_and_tilly

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:12:59 PM »
I've bought the Eric begbie one for my kindle! :) xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:06:52 PM »
I really fancy getting the Hawcroft Gundogs Cocker DVD set.  I have heard brilliant reports about it - I am just nervous about spending £100 for it!! I think I will wait til we are in the frame for another pup and get it then.

The Hawcroft DVDs are excellent, Simon Tyers is Caoimhe's trialling trainer/handler and he's the most naturally gifted (and nicest) gundog trainer - actually dog trainer - I've ever met. They're very thorough and very well done.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline seaangler

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »
I really fancy getting the Hawcroft Gundogs Cocker DVD set.  I have heard brilliant reports about it - I am just nervous about spending £100 for it!! I think I will wait til we are in the frame for another pup and get it then.

The Hawcroft DVDs are excellent, Simon Tyers is Caoimhe's trialling trainer/handler and he's the most naturally gifted (and nicest) gundog trainer - actually dog trainer - I've ever met. They're very thorough and very well done.

How very strange i know Simon and his very nice wife he lives almost on our doorstep just down the road from us..He also use to be a gamekeeper.

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline west

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

Nicola - Your red cocker is stunning.  We would love a pup just like her.  We have been in touch with Simon about where best to source a good pup from and we are waiting for some litters to be born.  My background is working sheepdogs so gundogs are all quite new to me. We have a cocker bitch now but she is Show/Work X.  She loves beating and flushing but I can simply not get her to pick up.  I try and try but have decided she will just be a pet dog.  We would like another pup to be a companion for her but one that has a chance at making a gundog (if it doen't work out, that's fine - we will just have two lovely pet dogs!). I have made lots of mistakes with our current bitch, Gretel. I used to breed English Partridge and had a big problem with Gretel digging them out and chasing them all over the village!  I think that once a pup sees game, it can spoil them...

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »

Nicola - Your red cocker is stunning.  We would love a pup just like her.  We have been in touch with Simon about where best to source a good pup from and we are waiting for some litters to be born.  My background is working sheepdogs so gundogs are all quite new to me. We have a cocker bitch now but she is Show/Work X.  She loves beating and flushing but I can simply not get her to pick up.  I try and try but have decided she will just be a pet dog.  We would like another pup to be a companion for her but one that has a chance at making a gundog (if it doen't work out, that's fine - we will just have two lovely pet dogs!). I have made lots of mistakes with our current bitch, Gretel. I used to breed English Partridge and had a big problem with Gretel digging them out and chasing them all over the village!  I think that once a pup sees game, it can spoil them...

Thank you, even though I'm biased she is an amazing girl :D Simon should be able to point you in the direction of some very close relatives of hers, he has a few of her half siblings (her sire is his dog Timsgarry Barlow). I would unreservedly recommend his dogs but if you're new to gundogs and looking for a working (as opposed to trialling) dog I would tell him that; although Caoimhe is very true to Simon's breeding in that she's very focussed, intelligent and trainable, as a FT dog she's also very fast, very driven and very 'hot'; she does everything at 110mph and literally makes you dizzy sometimes. If a pup gets free access to game and starts free hunting and chasing it can be very difficult to re-train them out of this again.

She doesn't believe in letting her feet touch the ground much :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline west

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:35:10 PM »
got the DVD from my sister for my 30th! Not watched it yet but looking forward to it.