Author Topic: Growling at other dogs who are on there leash  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Yomper

Growling at other dogs who are on there leash
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:14:38 PM »
Hi
Lately oscar has had a few growls at other dogs he sees if there on their owners leash. Not all the time just the odd occasion but today i was told he really turned a bit nasty and growling and went for this other dog. oscar was off the leash but the other dog was on a leash. Nothing happened as he was then grabbed and put on his leash and of course an apology to the other dogs owner. I wasn't there so can't say for sure what happened but he has growled at a couple of other dogs who are on there leash. Apart from this oscar is brilliant playing with other dogs submissive to little dogs and will more than hold his own with bigger dogs in there mad antics.
Is there a way to stop him growling as i wouldn;t want him to get hurt or hurt another dog

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
Re: Growling at other dogs who are on there leash
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 06:20:18 PM »
personally, I wouldn't let my dog approach an on lead dog.  recall him away.  I always ask the owners permission before letting my dogs approach a dog off lead and never let mine go to an on lead dog.

Offline Yomper

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
oh we always do the same but this dog was friendly and it was oscar who took the disliking to him and oscar is one of the friendliest dogs i know and has never done this

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »

No matter how friendly the on-lead dog, as a general rule you shouldn't let an off-lead dog approach an on-lead dog, as the on-lead dog cannot display the full range of body language, and can't avoid contact if they want to do so.  It can make the on-lead dog more reactive as they have no option but to "fight" as they cannot "flee".

It is possible the on-lead dogs are giving off subtle "get lost" vibes which Oscar is reacting to... or another common problem is that an on-lead dog who is pulling even slightly on the lead actually pulls itself into what appears (to another dog) to be an aggressive stance - the face becomes taught, the body-weight is concentrated onto the front legs etc... add this to the fact that an on-lead dog will most likely be approaching in a straight line, with no option of stopping to sniff (which would be a calming signal) or altering pace to put another dog at ease... it's no wonder that being on-lead creates all kinds of problems both for the on-lead dog and for other dogs around them.
 ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Yomper

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
That makes very good sense to me. I have just found out it happened at one of those cattle gates so it was hard to see any dogs approaching until your there. Apparently the women said oh oscar is nice and when my partner and the other woman opened the gate to walk though and let the dogs say hello was when it happened.

I do feel sorry for the few other dogs i see walking on a leash as there missing out on so much and to keep calling oscar every time i see one to hold onto him as al he wants to do is play does become a pain on some days :(

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »

I do feel sorry for the few other dogs i see walking on a leash as there missing out on so much and to keep calling oscar every time i see one to hold onto him as al he wants to do is play does become a pain on some days :(

The thing is,  you don't know why these others are on leads. Granted,  some dogs just don't get enough exercise, or the owner is scared of letting the dog off. Other dogs may not have good recall, some maybe agressive, have fear based issues which make off lead a no no. It might be a pain, but, to me calling your dog back and not letting your dog go up to others without asking first is polite dog walking etiquette.......  My German Shepherd doesn't like meeting dogs on lead and will firmly tell the approaching dog to bog off!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:33:41 PM »

The thing is,  you don't know why these others are on leads. Granted,  some dogs just don't get enough exercise, or the owner is scared of letting the dog off. Other dogs may not have good recall, some maybe agressive, have fear based issues which make off lead a no no.

or as Wilf had to for a while, may be because of injury - I got fed up of certain dog owners allowing their dogs to charge up to him then suggest my dog wasn't friendly becuase he would bark his head off at them when they did
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »
That makes very good sense to me. I have just found out it happened at one of those cattle gates so it was hard to see any dogs approaching until your there. Apparently the women said oh oscar is nice and when my partner and the other woman opened the gate to walk though and let the dogs say hello was when it happened.

Not as much as a pain for the poor person that can't let their dog off the lead  ;)

Think of it as a chance to practice his recall and general obedience by getting him to focus on you until you are past the other person.

Millie

Offline Yomper

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »
I know i know i am moaning over nothing but some of the owners have never tried to let their dog off the lead as they say he/she might not  come back. we all know that if they get the right excercise and a few training times at home or at class they would be fine or 99% of them would be. oscar is 98% good on his recall but his not failable as sometimes the wind can stop him hearing me so i do worry it may be that odd time where its an aggressive dog without a muzzle.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »
There could be a million and one reasons for a dog to be on a lead, you can't jump to the assumption that the dog has a compromised life because it is out on one. for example, i am taking Alfie for the briefest of lead walks at the moment, please don't feel sorry he is on lead, please feel sorry that he had a very bad fracture of his elbow a month ago. Worry about your own dog and not other people's and as others have said it is rather bad form to let a dog not under control run up to other dogs on lead who are looked after with the best of intent.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Yomper

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »
well i still think its wrong for people to have a dog and to never let them off there lead. if its for health reasons then thats undersandable or if there dog is aggressive then not only should it be on a lead it should have a muzzle on. no excuse for having an aggressive dog out without a muzzle in any circumstances. i was on about the people that have never let them off the lead as they couldn't be bothered to train them properly to come back. you know the same ones you never see in the winter but come summer they all appear out of the woodwork as if there happy normal dog owners! The same ones who haven't bothered training their dogs or have any dog association time. The Same dogs who are on a lead because there stuck indoors most days and only go out on a lead.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 04:01:23 PM »
The problem as I see it is how can you tell the difference?  You see only a dog on a lead and not the story behind it.  I have had a dog fat because of drugs and had people's opinions of her weight thrown at me, I have one dog who is starting not to hear me so I am reluctant to let her off lead and I have a dog who is still restricted to lead walking when off my land due to a spinal op.  You cannot tell their problems by looking at them so how do you know when you are right and when you are just being plain judgemental?  When in doubt...say nowt!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Yomper

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 05:15:45 PM »
Well i am not being judgemental as i do know some dogs have problems especially with there hips. i always ask why there on the lead as i talk to everyone (trait of mine!) and the story i hear most is because there aggressive or they think the dogs wont come back. So getting back to my point if i am walking my non aggressive friendly dog in the middle of a disused farm or a 30 minute walk from any road or housing which is what i do as do a lot of other dog owners  why should i have to put my dog on the lead or recall him if an aggressive dog is approaching without a muzzle. I haven't said a bad health dog who can't be let off the lead.  

ps i do go on a bit i know!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 05:33:41 PM »
I didn't say you were judgemental doll, I said how would you do it without being judgemental.  You ask owners why their dog is on a lead, ok .... but here's the thing.....if someone came up to me and asked me why my dog was on a lead I would politely tell them to mind their own business!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020