Author Topic: My pup don't do ear and eye drops : (  (Read 284 times)

Offline Weewascal

My pup don't do ear and eye drops : (
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:41:41 PM »
Hi we recently took Bailey to the vets for a check up and were sent home with some ear and eye drops to administer to him twice daily...problem is we had no idea how difficult it can be to have a 4 month old sit still for this type of thing.. He was perfect in the vets and was given the drops in seconds but we have tried twice at home and had to give up mostly due to Bails lashing out, which I need to say he never ever does, he is extremely placid ...I think he can smell the medicine.... Does anyone have any advice on how we should approach this one ?

Thank you !

MJ, PJ and Bails

Offline emma_and_tilly

Re: My pup don't do ear and eye drops : (
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Tilly had to have ear dros last year, I had to pin her in to me almost in a head lock, was a nightmare! Think eye drops old have been impossible!

Hope someone comes along with some useful advice soon, good luck!

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »
Try wrapping her in a big bath towel ...and you will most certainly require at least 2 pairs of hands

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
Indie's had eyedrops twice now. We waited until she was calm (not racing round the garden or on 'alert' in the house- normally just lying down etc. then we'd give her treats as we approached and sat down. Two man job- one to hold her gently but firmly whilst praising and one to prise her eye back gently and quick-drop! It is frustrating though as she often moved at the important moment- or the dropper didn't drop quick enough! make sure the drops are right at the top of the tube ready to come out with little squeeze so when you do get him in position it's over quickly.

Possibly, if he's really uncomfortable with it, just let him sniff it whilst it's not doing anything with him- 'introduce' it as it were, and praise etc so he gets used to the smell being a lovely thing. Then just do one eye at a time, let him rest, have a play, and go back to it when he's once again calm.

we had ear drops with our last cocker when she was tiny, i don't remember her having any issues (and i was only 7 so watched- no ear dropping for me!) so i can't advise on that!

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »
Take 2 people & 1 Pupster  :005:
Lift Bailey off floor on to a table top/ironing board etc
1st person (the easy option :005:) needs to distract him, perhaps with some fav. treats/toy
2nd person (not such an easy option  :005:) needs to administer his ear & eye drops asap
The 2nd person needs to have a very steady hand, confident, with a no nonsense attitude  :shades:
Good luck  :blink:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie