Author Topic: Royal Canin Cocker or Mature for older dogs  (Read 691 times)

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
Royal Canin Cocker or Mature for older dogs
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
Morning All,

I currently feed my 12 year old Basil on Royal Canin Cocker but have been wondering if he may be better off on the ageing 10+? He seems to be doing well on the Cocker formula which says out is for ageing and mature dogs. I suppose that I am just starting to notice that he is becoming an old boy and want to do the best for him and have him with us for as long as possible. :luv: He has no current health issues.

Would just like other Royal Canin feeders thoughts on this (or anyone else for that matter).

Thanks Jacqui

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline Catie74

Re: Royal Canin Cocker or Mature for older dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 05:55:10 PM »
I have my cavvie on mini mature +12. She is 13 1/2 and eats this better than anything she has been offered in all her years so I'm sticking with it.

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:40:11 PM »
Hi

I feed my 11 & 14 year old cockers Royal Canine Medium Mature they have been on it for a number of years now and are really good on it.

Great coats really good condition vets always comment on how good a condition they are, they were on medium adult before so made the change as they got older.

They do have added joint care supplements YUMOVE as I feel that helps potect their joints

I did try the Royal Canine Cocker on my younger cocker she did not like it so she went back onto medium adult
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:38:12 AM »
Feel free to scream at me, but I feel that these top brand, breed specific foods are just a marketing ploy. We had very healthy dogs of all ages and breeds when I was little.  It's the same with the the pharmaceutical industry, just adding the tiniest, useless ingredient means they can legally proclaim it's wonder powers.
I will now hide under the table!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »
My other cynical view is that multinationals like RC, which is owned by Mars,  produce so many varieties that they physically crowd out the opposition on the shelves of independent pet food shops.  Yes you can order different foods, but you want to try a small bag first, off the shelf.
It is a good food, but I hate being manipulated by bullying market practices. There are a lot of smaller, UK companies making excellent foods too.
Back under the table, I think!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
Feel free to scream at me, but I feel that these top brand, breed specific foods are just a marketing ploy.

I do agree, especially when it comes to senior diets... my 11-year old is on the same diet as my 1-year old and I can't really see why he shouldn't. He is just as active, I control his weight with the amount of food and exercise and the blood values he had done the other day all came back as perfect. I can't really see the need for "senior" diets, though I do add certain supplements to their food which my younger dogs don't get (e.g. glucosamine and in my lurcher's case CSJ Turn back Thyme herbs). That's the only difference for my senior dog.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk