Author Topic: Helping Charlie with his doggy manners......  (Read 348 times)

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Helping Charlie with his doggy manners......
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
Charlie has been with us nearly 7 months, and is a lovely boy with a lovely temperament  :luv:

We've worked on his bird chasing, and he has come a long way  :luv:, but we're not making very much progress with his lack of manners with some - not all- dogs, and the fact he seems not to be able to realise when a dog does not want him near them.
It might possibly be harder as he is inconsistent ? - he has been on 2 COL walks, and didn't try to be over the top with anyone. It's hard to tell which dog he is going to do it with, only that for some reason he suddenly goes hyper and loses all self control......just wondering if anyone has any helpful hints / tips on how to help him.

An example - we've been on holiday and today we walked with someone we normally see about 3 times a week, and to date, he has been very good with her collie. Today, on sight of her, he started twirling and barking, just like he did initially when he saw birds. About an hour into the walk, he suddenly decided to jump roughly on the collie, who was not happy and saw him off with a show of teeth. He went straight back for another go! I grabbed him and after doing some 'downs' and 'sits' he seemed calmer, but I left him onlead for a short while. When I let him offlead again, he rudely shoved his nose up the collie's rear end, and got another telling off, and then went to do it again. He's just not learning from these experiences. Some other walkers have told me I should let him get on with it and be told off, but having been on the other side (with dogs who didn't like being bothered and it made one them scared ), I don't want him upsetting other dogs or possibly being hurt either.

We have had a couple of one to ones, which has concentrated on reducing his excitement when he first sees other dogs, and he has made some progress here. We are starting classes with him soon, and the plan is to teach him to focus on us in the presence of other dogs. I'm being careful with who he can meet offlead, and he does have a couple of dogs he can play with - but he likes playing rough, and again does not recognise when the other dog has had enough. He can calmly greet some dogs (and gets rewarded for it), but we're struggling to find what the trigger is  :embarassed:

He is about 5 and a half, but seems to act like a puppy with this, but obviously has long lost any puppy licence