Author Topic: ipad questions (very basic!)  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
ipad questions (very basic!)
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »
I am not brilliant when it comes to technology  ph34r and want to ask some fairly basic questions as I am considering buying an ipad for work use but don't know if it will do what I want and I am too embarrassed to look like a Muppet in the shop by asking the assistant these questions - then have them look at me pityingly because of my great age and lack of knowledge  :D

1.  Would I be able to use an ipad to store info such as service user info (name date of birth address etc) like you can on a laptop - so could I put info from my Office Word files on my desktop onto it?  I wasn't sure if it was compatible.
2. Do you transfer info by using a memory stick (I know how to do that  ;))
3. If I use it for sensitive info such as client details and care plans is there anyway to password protect that information in case it ever gets stolen or worse still I lose it.  My clients are vulnerable and often elderly so don't want to take any risks with data.
4. Can I send and receive email using my outlook account?

Ok so I know i probably shouldn't be let loose with an ipad if this is my current skill level - but do you think I could do all the above
Thank you in advance  :luv: :luv: (and an even bigger thank you if you didn't laugh)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: ipad questions (very basic!)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »
Sorry I can't help - but I didn't larf either.

Trouble is looks like everyone else knows except you when you shop for these things.

If you click a device in Curry's webpage it tells you what it comes with etc - so that may help you compare when looking into devices - would it be worth looking on there first (see if they have any help?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/ipads/xx-criteria.html

I would be in the same position. I have a pocket Pc from way back and the most exciting thing I have done is upload some Elvis on it and play Jawbreaker (much to Smudge's annoyance as it is very addictive!!)

re your elederly clients - you may be able to put the info onto a small storage disc and then keep it in a safe place - to be used only when you want.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
As an ipad user and a health care professional. No way could you store and protect patient details on an ipad.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 12:53:19 PM »
I'm no expert and I'm sure someone über brilliant will be in touch to give you a hand, but.. It sounds like you are well versed in windows programmes.
The iPad is Apple (Mac) and therefore a different operating system. The two are not compatible although apple is better at dealing with windows than vice versa. The e mail programme is not outlook but you can easily configure it to work with your existing email account.
You can probably store user info, you would have to check out the available apps (programmes) in order to see what's available. Word is a windows programme and so you would probably need to buy the apple equivalent - Pages. Pages will open word documents and you can open word documents that are emailed to you. There may be a word app but I'm totally Mac biased so have no idea!  :005:
My iPad  does not have a USB port. Not sure if later models do. They are more for transferring data direct from your computer, either by syncing through the cable supplied or wirelessly via the cloud.
You can lock the iPad but to be honest I think that anyone stealing it would be able to bypass that if they were inclined. I wouldn't consider it for sensitive data, it's WAY to portable and nickable.  ph34r
Oh, and I didn't laugh - you sound like you know your way round your system. I would be totally lost on a windows PC.  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 12:57:32 PM »
Just as a matter of interest - are there devices out that do run on windows - but with a different name?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »
There are lots of tablets running on different operating systems. If you google windows tablets you should come up with something. Sorry I can't be more help, like I say I am an apple junkie  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
There are lots of tablets running on different operating systems. If you google windows tablets you should come up with something. Sorry I can't be more help, like I say I am an apple junkie  :005:

Cheers me dear, I just thought it would be easier if you know windows to buy something running same system.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »
Not sure if this will help you Ben's Mum, found it while cruising the net

http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/

if you open the more details on each device it gives you the tech bit

I really must leave this b4 I get the urge to click 'buy' ph34r

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »
There is not a USB port on an iPad so you can't use a memory stick with it. However, you can buy extra storage on iCloud which you can store work documents on and work on through your iPad.  My icloud cost £30 for the year butipads come with some free storage. You can store information in the notes section but does not have Microsoft Word. Another way to store and work on personal information is to create the file through your work pc or laptop and save to cloud, then you can open it through cloud on your iPad and work on it through there.

I had the same questions when buying my iPad this summer. I have not been off my iPad since, I love it!
Gemma and Marley xx

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 03:38:15 PM »
If its the iPad specifically then a good starting point is to get an appointment with one of their Genius staff. That's their name, not my description of them. They will be able to give much more detailed explanations of what you can and can't do.

While its true that the iPad isn't intrinsically secure, can't handle a USB device plugged directly, to handle Microsoft files, the deeper truth is that amongst the thousands of apps available, there are ones that can boost the security of the file storage, can use MS file types, allow you to work on spreadsheets and word processing documents (in cloud service form or on the iPad), and there are plenty of physical adapters that will allow you to plug in a USB lead - although the device you're plugging in may or may not work.

I hardly use my laptop any more and a friend of mine uses her iPhone for all sorts of work, and she's in the healthcare profession. It's a very capable device but I personally think it is still just short of being a genuine and simple pc replacement. That applies to all the other tablets as well.

Security is really down to you, and that applies as much to your office computer as it does to anything else.

One more suggestion would be to find a couple of iPad forums on the Internet and ask questions there. People will be all too happy to give you pointers on how to do the things you need. The only downside is you will probably also find Apple-phobes equally happy (even if they're sad themselves) to tell you that it can't do these things and that you absolutely have to buy a Microsoft/Samsung/Nokia tablet.

I love mine, I hate the way Apple do some things, I hate MS software and use freeware, and love Windows. Horses for courses etc.

Good luck on your research.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »
Wow - thank you all for your responses, ideas and info  :luv:

I am off to look at all your suggestions.  I really really want an icloud now - no idea what it is yet, but what a great name and I think I need to have one in my life  ;)

The best bit was about asking on here - I barely heard a snigger from any of you  :005: and I have learnt loads as usual

thank you

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 05:38:42 PM »
iCloud is the storage for an iPad x
Gemma and Marley xx

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »
It'd be a bit rich for most of us to snigger. I still ask plenty of questions about the tech side of life. And many other areas. We don't learn if we don't ask.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »
I asked similar questions of a manager of a res care home recently about his ipad (which he uses for work) and he said he uses is for Outlook emails and Word docs  :dunno:

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 10:02:45 PM »
I am able to access my work pc through my iPad by using Citrix Receiver, it enables me to check my work emails through Outlook and access Word, Publisher etc :D
Gemma and Marley xx