Author Topic: Rolo not drinking...  (Read 590 times)

Offline Rolo12

Rolo not drinking...
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »
I haven't seen Rolo drink at all for the last couple of days. He wont go near his water bowl and where he used to drink out of puddles or things in the garden he doesnt even do that anymore! Its really concerning me.

He is still eating as normal and seems fine in himself so its a bit baffling really. Anyone else experienced this?

Ive booked him in to the vets tomorrow morning.

:huh:
Caz :)

Offline sarahm2008

Re: Rolo not drinking...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:30:22 PM »
aaah poor rolo is he still weeing and pooing as normal?

Offline Tiger

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:49:22 PM »
Pinch his skin, it takes longer for the skin to return to normal the more dehydrated he is.  Also they tend to get dry eyes, tongue and nose.

I used to have a dog that was on steroids a lot and he would sometimes stop drinking so we'd have to syringe some water just to keep him hydrated when he was feeling bad.

Good luck

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:10:44 AM »
Yes still weeing as normal. Its a bit of a mystery!

He is only pooing once a day at the moment instead of twice but he has been on chicken and rice because of his constant stomach problems.

My partner has said that when he goes in the garden for a wee, he drinks from the puddles so i guess he must be getting just enough water from that. His nose is wet.

Hopefully they will be able to help at the vets. We are going at 9:30am. Poor chap!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »
Ah, don't worry. Rice is full of water once it's cooked. When my bridge boy Dickon suffered from pancreatitis and had regular periods on chicken and rice I was worried that he stopped drinking but the vet assured me he was getting plenty of fluid from the rice.

Offline jobartlett

• Donator
  • Enzo Benzo.....aka wigglebum
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 01:02:08 PM »
How did you get on?  What did the vet say?

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 10:18:23 AM »
She said that he is obviously getting his water from somewhere as he is still urinating and is not dehydrated however it could be him drinking dirty water from outside that is contributing to his colitis.

She emptied his anal glands (yuk) as they were full and bothering him.

We are going to concentrate on trying to find him the right food to calm down his colitis (they reccommended hills of course!) but also she said i need to be really careful when changing his food so i am slowly weaning him off chicken and rice and back on to Purina Beta for now.

Bless him, it seems to be a constant battle at the moment!

Offline Tiger

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »
Poor Rolo hope he starts to feel better soon  :bigarmhug:

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 12:13:18 PM »
Roxy won't drink out of the water bowl in the kitchen unless she is desperate - think she sees it as Bobby's domain. She started drinking out of the water feature in the garden and this worried me as the water was pretty stagnant and unpleasant so I put a plastic container outside the door and she drinks from that now (covered up the water feature...what a good buy that was (not)!). She also loves drinking from puddles, anywhere and everywhere.
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.