Author Topic: Yum this chair tastes good, but Mummys getting mad!!!  (Read 1046 times)

Offline oreo

Yum this chair tastes good, but Mummys getting mad!!!
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:25:13 AM »
So it happened are gorgeous little cocker has entered the Cockdile phase :-\.
Oreo now 6months and has been a star up to now, not really chewed anything she shouldn't part from the odd magazine and kids pictures. But this last couple of weeks the conservatory furniture has proved too much to resist. We now have 5 spindles missing that we have had to sand down to stop spinters. Oreos not eating these as theres always a pile of cane where shes been.  >:D
If I catch her at it, I simply pick her up and put her in har crate with a stag bar. But is there something more I can do, Is there something I could put on the furniture to put her off. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Yum this chair tastes good, but Mummys getting mad!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:25:50 AM »
There are anti-chew sprays available but Jasper always liked the taste of cane more than the dislike for the spray  >:D

Worth trying though and can you restrict her access to the conservatory when you are not there so that you can stop her before she has the chance to start?

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Tipsy252

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
Cassie is a >:D for chewing! She started on the skirting board and has now progressed to chewing my hardwood block floor (antique 1930's). The only thing I have found to stop her chewing things is to liberally sprikle the area with Olbas Oil. Apparently they do not like the smell of the menthol! It does work. I also used it on her lead when she started to chew at that.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »
Cassie is a >:D for chewing! She started on the skirting board and has now progressed to chewing my hardwood block floor (antique 1930's). The only thing I have found to stop her chewing things is to liberally sprikle the area with Olbas Oil. Apparently they do not like the smell of the menthol! It does work. I also used it on her lead when she started to chew at that.

Yup, anything menthol is the only thing that works with Archie. I use deep heat spray on my sofas. It works really well but smells horrible!!

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
Bracken is 14 weeks and if I see him chewing something he shouldn't I don't say anything and put a bit of tobasco sauce on the thing he's chewing never does it again, well worth investing in Tobasco sauce!

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
When Bella was teething she chomped on the arm of an ikea chair we had, I waited for her to go through secondary stage teething and then went and bought a new one. She's never touched it so it was obviously a phase.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 07:07:58 AM »
We had dining chair legs (and matching table) wrapped in foil for a while  ph34r :005:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline jobartlett

• Donator
  • Enzo Benzo.....aka wigglebum
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
Damn. Is this what I have to look forward to? Enzo is 5 months old and not a big chewer  at the moment. Do they suddenly change from not chewing to chewing?

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 02:37:58 AM »
At 5 or 6 months they could well be teething in which case they'll chew to relieve the discomfort and to help dislodge the puppy teeth. Chaz is just coming up to six months and I've collected five of his puppy teeth over the past week.
A variety of chew toys would help and Chaz's almost constant companion at the moment is a Stag Bar although he's tried out slippers, shoes a table leg and a plastic water bowl as well. They're just the puppy version of a baby's teething ring. :005:
Once all the adult teeth are through the chewing usually reverts to normal.