Author Topic: Zac frightened when he hears other dogs barking.  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Pip C

• Zac
Zac frightened when he hears other dogs barking.
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:25:06 PM »
Zac gets really frightened when he hears other dogs barking and then as a consequence won't listen to me at all.  He has only been walking out for a week so it is all new, but I'm not sure how to address this or whether he will just get used to it over time. 

We have 2 toy yorkies next door who bark all the time and he didn't like that at first but is ok with it now, but we have had him out a couple of times and dogs in houses have started to bark and scared him stupid.  He walks to heel pretty well most of the time, but any distraction like this and he doesn't listen at all and then just proceeds to pull all the time, which is exactly what I want to avoid, but difficult when he is distressed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Zac frightened when he hears other dogs barking.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »
Zac gets really frightened when he hears other dogs barking and then as a consequence won't listen to me at all.  He has only been walking out for a week so it is all new, but I'm not sure how to address this or whether he will just get used to it over time. 

We have 2 toy yorkies next door who bark all the time and he didn't like that at first but is ok with it now, but we have had him out a couple of times and dogs in houses have started to bark and scared him stupid.  He walks to heel pretty well most of the time, but any distraction like this and he doesn't listen at all and then just proceeds to pull all the time, which is exactly what I want to avoid, but difficult when he is distressed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Everything is new to Zac atm, its a big, wide world out there with so many new experience's for a puppy....give him time, i'm sure once he is a little older he will take it all in his stride.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
Charlie was scared when he was a pup (he's still not happy, but he isn't a confident little boy)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Chillis

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
pepper was just (& sometimes is) just the same, she'd completely freak out if she could hear a dog but not see it. I'm allways chuffed now when she deosnt even seem to notice it, use to really get me down- glad not just us!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:37:52 PM »
Lots of puppies are scared of noises etc. when they first start to go out, so hopefully he'll gain confidence soon. When it happens how do you react? I've had to teach myself not to go all protective and reassuring when Louis finds something frightening (because that can reinforce his fear if I'm making any kind of fuss) but instead to act calmly and confidently to try and make Louis feel that way too. Dogs pick up on our actions and tone of voice very quickly.

Offline Mel B

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »
My pup was scared when I first started taking her out but now at 6 months old she is much more relaxed with any barking.

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:11 AM »
Buckley's not scared but takes notice when he hears nearby barking, without seeing the culprit. As Elaine said, basically just ignore the reactions....they're only curious, and reacting with worry on their behalf could raise a jumpy dog...  :luv:

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:12 AM »
Lots of puppies are scared of noises etc. when they first start to go out, so hopefully he'll gain confidence soon. When it happens how do you react? I've had to teach myself not to go all protective and reassuring when Louis finds something frightening (because that can reinforce his fear if I'm making any kind of fuss) but instead to act calmly and confidently to try and make Louis feel that way too. Dogs pick up on our actions and tone of voice very quickly.

It probably makes me anxious as I don't know how to deal with him!  He pulls and I'm trying to teach him not to pull, but he's so desperate to get away its hard to know what to do for the best.

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »
As Elaine has said calm and confident is the key ..

Also when myn were small i took training treats with me and used  very upbeat happy tone in my voice when walking . Dora who was particularly nervous when out it was the old adage  'Slow and steady wins the race'. Just up to the end of our road at first once or twice a day treats and a happy tone . It resinated with her that good experiences happened when out walking . Then added a bit further and very gradually built it up.  :D Some take longer than others and you don't want to overwhelm him when he's not sure..

Try to avoid the houses you know have the dogs that bark for now and when he is a little better try passing again but with a treat and if possible on the other side of the road so a little space is put between them . I know its hard for you seeing him so distressed so take a step back and start again from the very beginning..  :luv:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »
As Elaine has said calm and confident is the key ..

Also when myn were small i took training treats with me and used  very upbeat happy tone in my voice when walking . Dora who was particularly nervous when out it was the old adage  'Slow and steady wins the race'. Just up to the end of our road at first once or twice a day treats and a happy tone . It resinated with her that good experiences happened when out walking . Then added a bit further and very gradually built it up.  :D Some take longer than others and you don't want to overwhelm him when he's not sure..

Try to avoid the houses you know have the dogs that bark for now and when he is a little better try passing again but with a treat and if possible on the other side of the road so a little space is put between them . I know its hard for you seeing him so distressed so take a step back and start again from the very beginning..  :luv:

Thanks for the great advice. :D

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
I have been told to get a cd with dogs barking on it to help desensitize him from it.  Much like a strange sounds cd...fireworks etc.  However i can't find one.  Does anyone know where i can get one??? :D

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
I have been told to get a cd with dogs barking on it to help desensitize him from it.  Much like a strange sounds cd...fireworks etc.  However i can't find one.  Does anyone know where i can get one??? :D

Sound therapy for pets do several cd' s http://www.soundtherapy4pets.co.uk/sociable.html.

The sounds sociable cd includes a small track of 55 seconds of growling and barking dogs. The play list is quite extensive and  includes alarms fireworks guns washing machines hoovers traffic aircraft doors letter boxes door bells etc . The only thing I find is with fireworks for example you don't get the change in air pressure. With  the sound obviously  they don't get to see the things only hear them. playing it indoors needs to be done very very carefully as home needs to be a safe haven for a puppy and if he is scared then he might think its come home..  :D
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 03:17:40 PM »
Bracken when we first got him was scared of dogs, children he would panic & cry out sending the wrong signal to other dogs, over a short time his confidence has grown and is very happy playing with other dogs, he too was unsure of dogs barking but now he turns a blind eye!

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 10:00:17 PM »

Sound therapy for pets do several cd' s http://www.soundtherapy4pets.co.uk/sociable.html.

The sounds sociable cd includes a small track of 55 seconds of growling and barking dogs. The play list is quite extensive and  includes alarms fireworks guns washing machines hoovers traffic aircraft doors letter boxes door bells etc . The only thing I find is with fireworks for example you don't get the change in air pressure. With  the sound obviously  they don't get to see the things only hear them. playing it indoors needs to be done very very carefully as home needs to be a safe haven for a puppy and if he is scared then he might think its come home..  :D

Ordered!  Looks good. Im sure it will help. Thanks! :D