Author Topic: Jumping up  (Read 803 times)

Offline Pip C

• Zac
Jumping up
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:30:12 PM »
Whats the best way to stop zac from jumping up?  I know that its best not to give him any attention unless all 4 feet are on the floor and to say off and push him away if he jumps up, but this doesn't seem to be working.

Ant advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Offline ElvieMogs

Re: Jumping up
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »
Saying off and pushing him away is still giving attention. We've found with Madoc that standing up (if we're sitting) turning our backs and either looking up at the ceiling or talking amongst ourselves does the trick. The more we do it the quicker he  gives up. Then we ask for a sit and bend over to make a fuss of him. We're trying to get visitors to do the same though with slightly less success!

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:54:56 PM »
good question as we are having same problem & its now starting to happen at meal times.
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:12 PM »
When William started to jump up whilst we were sitting at the table, we simply turned away from him, without  speaking or touching him, or making eye contact.

Without any reaction from us he simply gave up and it ceased to be a problem.

Similarly when we return to him after an absence we ignore him for a short time turning our backs if he should jump up. This works fine for us but training visitors to do the same is a more difficult task. ph34r

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 08:13:12 AM »
Body language is really important...sounds and touching are giving attention, esp. unwanted during inappropriate jumping-up or owners eating. They say to turn your head away/back to the pup if there's something you're not condoning...dogs do it to one another. Works a treat when Bucks wants to jump or bite and I'm not playing  ;)

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »
Is this not one of the things that would respond well to clicker training ???
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 10:19:36 AM »
Body language is really important...sounds and touching are giving attention, esp. unwanted during inappropriate jumping-up or owners eating. They say to turn your head away/back to the pup if there's something you're not condoning...dogs do it to one another. Works a treat when Bucks wants to jump or bite and I'm not playing  ;)

Will definately try this! :D

Offline jobartlett

• Donator
  • Enzo Benzo.....aka wigglebum
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
I'll be giving this a go too - Enzo is becoming a nightmare for launching himself at you with all 4 paws off the ground when he can't get your attention with just 2 paw jumps!

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
I have to say that we've been doing the ignoring, turning our backs when Ozzy jumps up ever since we've had him - hasn't done a blind bit of good, he still jumps up!  He will get down if asked, mostly, but it doesn't stop him jumping up in the first place - it drives my OH mad!  I wish I could think of something to stop him jumping in the first place, but, I've come to the conclusion that it's just a cocker thing!

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
I have to say that we've been doing the ignoring, turning our backs when Ozzy jumps up ever since we've had him - hasn't done a blind bit of good, he still jumps up!  He will get down if asked, mostly, but it doesn't stop him jumping up in the first place - it drives my OH mad!  I wish I could think of something to stop him jumping in the first place, but, I've come to the conclusion that it's just a cocker thing!

They say you dont own a cocker you wear one  :D :D
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »

They say you dont own a cocker you wear one  :D :D

Oh yes!!!  :005: