Author Topic: youngest age can go travelling..  (Read 795 times)

Offline Tiramisu

youngest age can go travelling..
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:15:28 PM »
we are thinking of getting a puppy, but the summer agility season is beginning.... struggling a bit to fit things well!!

for the puppy we are considering, she will be ready for collection on around 11th (first injection done), and she will have her 2nd injection on 25th of may..

but our boy got agility show on 27th & 29th may, it's less than 2 hours drive but we want to stay in a B&B closer to the show for 2 nights....

is it absolutely no no to take the pup with us? probably the pup will be carried in a bag and not interact with other dogs other than our boy....

our boy went on his first holiday when he was around 12 weeks old....

as the girl will possibly be our 2nd pup, anyone who show/ do agility or other activities with their dog can share some experience of coping shows and a puppy at the same time?

thanks!

Offline jonnytrabant

Re: youngest age can go travelling..
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:22:55 PM »
I've read this post several times and still can't fathom it out   :huh:

#confused

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »
I would probably not take the puppy to the show as the weekend wouldn't be much fun for her/ him stuck in the car or in a bag for a whole weekend?  Puppies under 16 weeks aren't allowed around/ near the rings at KC agility shows (or are you not in the UK?), and in addition you would be putting the puppy at extra risk of picking up diseases as her immunity wouldn't be great just a couple of days after her second vaccination.  Add to that the extra stress of having a puppy not fully housetrained in a B&B...  Not my idea of the most fun few days.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
Personally I think expecting a young puppy to be at a busy event like an agility show for a weekend will be too tiring for her. Even if you're carrying her most of the time I think she'll be mentally exhausted and quite possibly overwhelmed by the whole thing.

I think you'd also have to check if a puppy that age would be allowed on the showground. I haven't done competitive agility for a few years but I seem to remember rules restricting the presence of young puppies at competition venues.

Do you want to run the risk of having an exhausted, recently vaccinated and therefore possibly physically vulnerable puppy in such a busy environment for 2 days? Sorry if that sounds harsh, and I understand how annoying it is to miss doing something you love like agility, but in this instance I think your puppy would be happier and safer at home. Could one of you go to the show and one stay at home with the puppy?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:32:02 PM »
I would definitely not think about travelling for the first few weeks - best to give your pup a chance to settle in at least before being dragged around lots of busy, tiring and potentially risky (for such a young pup) places.  It is likely to make housetraining quite difficult too.  Is there someone who can stay at home with the pup while you are away?
Julie and Watson

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »
thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

just read the KC agility rules, it said that dogs over 4 calender months can entered as "not for competition", whilst competing dogs need to be 18 calendar months, and nothing said about spectator dogs.

it seems a bit cruel to the boy that he need to give up something he enjoys a lot for a new pup, especially those are probably his last agility shows ever in his life, so will see how things goes. since the entry forms need to send out, so probably will enter the shows first and decide whether to get the girl or not. if we got the girl, probably will be house bound for a couple weeks and get ready for a big move.

p.s. the pups will be going on flight probably in another month's or so, so house training for the pup isn't really necessary, she might train to do it indoor at the end of the day

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »

just read the KC agility rules, it said that dogs over 4 calender months can entered as "not for competition", whilst competing dogs need to be 18 calendar months, and nothing said about spectator dogs.

I think 'spectator dogs' should usually be entered as NFC. 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Hannahc7

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:41:43 PM »
Do you have a partner/friend who can come with you and take the puppy back to the b&b and take care of her while you are at the show?
I think it may be a bit overwhelming for her otherwise, but if she can have her bed and toys there and someone to look after her I don't see why it is not doable?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 04:47:17 PM »
it seems a bit cruel to the boy that he need to give up something he enjoys a lot for a new pup, especially those are probably his last agility shows ever in his life, so will see how things goes. since the entry forms need to send out, so probably will enter the shows first and decide whether to get the girl or not. if we got the girl, probably will be house bound for a couple weeks and get ready for a big move.

Sounds like perhaps the timing is not right for a pup at the moment  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 08:09:21 AM »

Sounds like perhaps the timing is not right for a pup at the moment  :-\

Plus a flight! No the timing is not right.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010