Author Topic: Zac has peed in the car!  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Pip C

• Zac
Zac has peed in the car!
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
Just over a week ago we started using a car harness Instead of zacs crate and let him have the back of the car to play in if we leave him for a bit. He hasn't been keen on going in the front before now. Today I left him as usual for about 45 mins in car. He had a pee beforehand and had been fed, had a stuffed kong to play with,  plenty of water, windows open and some shade. When I got back he was on front passenger seat and had peed on it. He didnt seem upset when I got back and was tearing up my box of tissues.  >:D He is just over 6 months and is still intact. Could it be a hormonal thing? Any ideas would be appreciated.  He does seem to be behaving more like a teenager lately. Slightly more aggressive when playing, recall gone to pot, not obeying basic commands and just generally being a monkey. >:D :D :luv:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Zac has peed in the car!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »
Definately dont think its hormonal, Are you saying you left him in the car on his own?
Thats quite an unusual situation for him to be in. Perhaps he was anxious or nervous and thats why he did that. He is still a puppy.
Cant say I would trust leaving Riley in a car on his own to be honest.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »
Well, I would say he needed to wee! if there was a box of tissues to play with well...why not. Nothing to do with hormones.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »
Definately dont think its hormonal, Are you saying you left him in the car on his own?
Thats quite an unusual situation for him to be in. Perhaps he was anxious or nervous and thats why he did that. He is still a puppy.
Cant say I would trust leaving Riley in a car on his own to be honest.

Nor me with Ozzy!!!

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:24:19 PM »
He's come in the car with me from an early age and he loves it in there. He has been on his own in it quite a lot when we've been shopping  and he's been fine. He was house trained from an early age and generally goes 2-3 hours between pees at home. ThisIis most uncharacteristic hence my post. He wasn't at all unsettled when I got back to car.

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
The reason I was asking about hormones was that he does seem to be peeing more lately and I suspect it won't be long before he's cocking his leg. Wasn't sure if testosterone makes them pee more? At this age my parents dog was peeing on everything.  >:D :D

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »
He's come in the car with me from an early age and he loves it in there. He has been on his own in it quite a lot when we've been shopping  and he's been fine. He was house trained from an early age and generally goes 2-3 hours between pees at home. ThisIis most uncharacteristic hence my post. He wasn't at all unsettled when I got back to car.

Perhaps it's simply that he needed to pee, if he was loose in the car, then he might have decided it was ok. If it were me I'd go back to using the crate (which he probably sees as his bed and won't soil it) in the car until he's bigger and has more bladder control.  Not sure if testosterone makes them pee more, but when Ozzy started cocking his leg, he didn't always produce much - sometimes just a dribble, I think it was more peeing where another dog had peed before, but he did do it countless times while on a walk.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
Same as Pip, Riley used to go for a walk and wee just the once.
Now he cocks his leg several time during walks. It was funny as he started marking by squatting several times on walks before he learned to lift his leg at 11 months, he still squats in the garden and when its a genuine wee he needs and there is nothing there to cock it on.

Offline Soodles

• Suzy my working cocker
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »
Hi, could it be that the front seat smells of you (in the nicest way) and he pee'd on it to mask his scent with yours?  I read somewhere before that dogs sometimes wee on their owners bed for the same reason so could be a possibility. Infuriating though, as it takes ages to dry after cleaning the seat - you will have a soggy bottom for a while!  :005:

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »
It wasn't much thank goodness.  Just a token gesture  :005: and hopefully a one off. :D

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »
Be careful about leaving your gorgeous boy in the car.

I saw a poster on the wall at Marks and Spencer's to say a car had been stolen from the car park, and that two beautiful cockers were asleep in the back.  The people were appealing for help to find their dogs.

It broke my heart reading it.  There are such horrible people about.

I never leave my 3 unsupervised.  I trust no one.  >:D
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline SuzanneE

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »
It is common for cars to be broken into and dogs stolen (I would not trust leaving a dog in the car to go shopping) and 45 mins in the car alone seems a long time to me  :huh:

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
It is common for cars to be broken into and dogs stolen (I would not trust leaving a dog in the car to go shopping) and 45 mins in the car alone seems a long time to me  :huh:

Zac loves the car. Have trouble getting him out of it sometimes.  :005:
It is worrying about dogs being stolen though! >:(

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:13:17 PM »

Zac loves the car. Have trouble getting him out of it sometimes.  :005:
It is worrying about dogs being stolen though! >:(

Honestly only mentioned it to you, as it wasn't something I was aware of before reading the notice.  Obviously it has been happening, but I wasn't aware.  To my knowledge they have not been found either.  :'(
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »
Mine love the car too, they spend a lot of time in it and are always good as gold but I wouldn't risk leaving them loose in it while I was out of sight because of the risk of theft (as well as overheating which can happen surprisingly quickly). Cockers are one of the most commonly stolen breeds of dog and dog thefts can and do take place from cars. All it would take is someone to smash a side window or jack open the door and they've got your dog. I do leave mine in the car to pay for petrol where I can see the car from the petrol station but would only leave them unattended for longer periods if I really had to and if they were in a locked crate or behind a dog guard and locked tailgate in the boot. I hate being so paranoid, I'm not usually like that at all, but the dogs being stolen is my worst nightmare and it happens so much these days it's just not worth the risk :-\
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/