Author Topic: (Newbie here) Going to see cocker puppies on sunday...  (Read 2107 times)

Offline anglofrenchie

(Newbie here) Going to see cocker puppies on sunday...
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »
...much excited!  :D

I haven't got a cocker puppy yet but have been actively searching for the last week since we finally decided that we were ready to have one.
Have been thinking about getting a dog for over six months now and after a lot of breed research we set our hearts on the cocker.
Never had one before so hoping that we are making the right choice.

They just seem like lots of fun and nice family dogs.

Anyone got any tips about picking the right puppy when viewing? Are dogs or bitches better with kids? Any info is welcome.

Thanks.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
Re: (Newbie here) Going to see cocker puppies on sunday...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:01:14 PM »
Only tip I can give is to make sure you have done your research on the breeder as well as the breed. There are too many unscrupulous breeders out there. Have a look at the tips on this site about buying a puppy and please make sure your pup is adequately health tested.

Cockers are fab dogs and providing you have the time to devote to them make wonderful companions but they are very much companion dogs and usually don't do well being left alone for long periods.

Good luck with your search!  ;)
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline anglofrenchie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »
Thanks for the tip.
I shall make sure i ask some questions to the breeder.  ph34r
She did seem interested in asking about our home and family when i phoned. Hopefully that is a good sign...

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:07:05 PM »
That does sound good - have a little look at Breeders section of this forum there are lots of tips there.

Are you getting a show or working cocker?

Offline Helly D

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 10:16:25 PM »
How exciting. We have had a dog and a bitch with our kids and no difference in them being good with them. Cockers are natural family dogs and love being part of whatever is going on. My dog especially was part of the gang when the kids were small and loved nothing better than going off in the trees and bushes with them. My bitch loved cuddling up with them but it may have been more because she was a puppy when when they were 4 and 7. Sam was 4 when our first was born so he was more tuned into us for his cuddles.

I would also add make sure both parents are health tested before buying a puppy. There are hereditary conditions cockers suffer from so to avoid future heartache get one from a breeder who heath tests her breeding stock - and enjoy!

Offline anglofrenchie

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
The mum is a show type (but family pet) and the dad is a working type (belongs to a friend of the family she said). Have been told this is the second litter they have had together.
Lady has mentioned puppies were vet checked shortly after birth and she says she will take them back for another check next monday. Not sure what kind of health checks that entails.

Fingers' crossed everything is ok with what she has told me.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »
Having a vet check isn't at all the same as health testing for hereditary conditions.

Please can I suggest that you have a really good read through this http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=48072.msg683214#msg683214

My first thoughts on the breeder having 2 litters out of her show type bitch by a worker is that the breeding isn't being done for the good of the breed but for commercial reasons only. Responsible breeders rarely breed show/worker crosses. Although the same breed they can be very different and people usually choose one or the other based on their requirements. This is a bit of a generalisation, but show types may require less exercise and mental stimulation (although still lively and active) and have coats that require a lot of grooming, while workers usually have less coat but a high work drive and may need more exercise and more mental stimulation.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 10:47:27 PM »
Please read up about health checks - have a look in the Breeders section under 'How do I find a reputable breeder' . It's not that the puppies have to be checked, it's that both parents need to have been tested to make sure they don't pass on hereditary diseases to the pups. There is loads of info on here about it.

If you are getting a pup that is part working cocker please make sure you realise what you are taking on as they are very highly driven and need A LOT of exercise (in excess of one and a half hours exercise a day typically) and lots of stimulation too. I'm sure you will be aware of this if you have done your research but it's amazing how many people don't realise and then the poor dogs end up in rescue because their owners think they are destructive dogs when really they are just bored because they are not getting the exercise or stimulation that they need.

Hope you have a good feeling about the breeder and are reassured on Sunday. Very exciting  ;)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William

Offline anglofrenchie

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:19 PM »
I will make myself a cuppa and have a read at the links you provided.

From what the lady has told me i understand this... her dog (the mum) is KC registered from a healthy show line but she doesn't bother with showing as she keeps the dog as a family pet. And that she and the friend who owns the working type dad decided to let them have a litter a couple of years ago for curiosity and fun (something along these lines  :embarassed:) and that the puppies born were so lovely that they agreed on getting a second litter this year.

She also said she wouldn't call herself a breeder as this will be the last litter her dog will have.

Offline anglofrenchie

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »
 oh dear ...backyard breeder  :fear2: springs to mind.

Not sure what to think or do now. I am still hoping that the litter may well be perfectly fine and it may be... but then again i have no guarantee on anything.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »
Please read the links carefully. I hate to say this, because you're so obviously looking forward to meeting the pups and keen to find the right puppy, but I would almost bet that neither the dam or sire have been health tested. I hope I'm wrong though.

If you decide this litter isn't for you after reading the links and meeting the breeder, don't be too downhearted. The right breeder and right puppy are out there somewhere but may take a while to find. Good luck :blink:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »
Yes, backyard breeder does spring to mind, with good intentions possibly, but probably not a good breeder. Can I suggest you make a list of questions about the things that you consider important and take them with you on Sunday?

If you decide against this litter you can post on here asking if anybody knows of a litter or could recommend a breeder in your area. Breeders aren't allowed to advertise on here and aren't usually named in posts but if anybody has suggestions for you they can send you a PM.

Offline anglofrenchie

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 11:16:36 PM »
Firstly thank you for all the replies and advice.

I will go and take a look at the litter and have a proper talk with the breeder. I shall mention the health screening and see what she says.

The last thing i want is rush into getting a puppy that will not be healthy. We are not too bothered with the show vs. working lines as we are fairly active as a family and i walk/jog a lot i love running  :luv: and we are prepared to train and exercise whatever dog we eventually get. We have  a small wood leading down a shore just down the road and i can't wait to  take a dog there  :D

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 11:24:56 PM »
I have to admit that if it were me I would be inclined to walk away from these pups. It doesnt really sound like they took their dogs' welfare very seriously.

If, after talking to this breeder, you decide these are not the pups for you, then take a look at the champdogs website to see if there is a reputable breeder near you. It may be that you may have to wait a little longer for your little one but it may be better to take time to decide whether show or working is more suited to your lifestyle. Plus you will have expert support from your breeder and the knowledge that you know the lineage of your pup.

http://www.champdogs.co.uk/

Best of luck with your search. I'm sure we will all be drooling over your puppy pics in no time.  :D