Author Topic: (Newbie here) Going to see cocker puppies on sunday...  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
Re: (Newbie here) Going to see cocker puppies on sunday...
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »
Hi Anglofrenchie, hope your search goes well.

Just to say, we have a show/worker x called Genie.  She's basically a rescue as she trained as a Hearing Dog (completed the whole course but failed at the very end) but we're her second shot at rehoming.  What I want to say is that even though we got her already trained to the nth degree, she's a show/worker x, and has a VERY high prey drive, far higher than our other dog, who is a full worker, and we still struggle with Genie's recall at times.  Her recall is one of the reasons her first rehome failed, along with killing a couple of guinea pigs!  So half show doesn't mean your pup will not be fully work-oriented.

I'm probably less concerned than others on here (though they're quite right) about health testing because the only dogs I have experience with are rescues, and you take pot luck with health testing there, obviously.  But there's a big difference between rescue adoption fees and paying for a puppy - presumably you're paying out a lot of money? and therefore deserve to get the most healthy puppy possible.  And naturally you don't want to support dodgy breeders, even if they're nice and have the best of intentions.

Good luck and keep us posted.  Lord knows how you're going to walk away from those pups  :005:  :005: