Author Topic: Pepsi's 1st Walk  (Read 1360 times)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« on: May 09, 2005, 08:44:11 AM »
We took her out at the weekend for the first time. At first she just laid down and would not move. Kev picked her up and put her on some grass and she was away!
We met another 12 week old pup who was scared of her! She was bouncy and lively and the poor little man was a bit shy. We went to the playing fields where we came across a huge Alsation. Pepsi was not the least bit put off. She laid down and rolled onto her back for him! He was very gentle with her and just gave her a bit of a sniff and a lick and didn't complain when she tried to bite his tail. She came home and had a nice long sleep. Usually if she is asleep and you go out the room she wakes up and follows you no matter how quiet you are but she didn't move.

Offline Bob's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 08:52:43 AM »
:) I'm pleased it went okay. Always a worry the first meeting with another dog. We've got that to come.
[size=8]Jo[/size][/font]xxxx

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:10:14 AM »
Sounds like fun. I'm never sure how to react to other dogs. I try to leave them to it as much as possible, and so far we've been fine, but Buddy has a long way to go with his doggy manners. I know that if I seem nervous he will pick up on it, and the last thing we want is a nervous dog.

There was a large dog yesterday, which had a rather deep growl, and quite a fierce manner, but no harm done.

Enjoy those walks...it opens up a whole new world once you can take them out doesn't it?

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 10:48:37 AM »
First walks are just so special, sounds like she had a ball :)

Annette, you are doing the right thing letting Buddy find his own way imo. Ive done this with both mine and neither have come to any harm. Its as if older dogs know when its a pup and make allowences. If they really dont want the hassle they will warn them off by growling or doing an air snap. You will probably notice if this happens Buddy will go into submissive role and this calms the situation. Its usally human intervention that will cause problems. As Buddy grows up he will be learning along the way how to approach other dogs and which dogs are not to be messed with. By time he hits his teenage years he will have stopped bounding up to all and sundry and will approach with respect :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Sprout's

• Site Member
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 12:32:58 PM »
Well done Pepsi :D

That first walk is one you always remember. it's lovely if a bit nerve wracking when they first start meeting other dogs. Sounds like she showed really good manners and is doing really well.

Here's to many more great outings

Welcome to the wide world Pepsi :D

Jane and Titus

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 01:38:28 PM »
Well done Pepsi! I can remember that first walk with Bella (also off lead straight away), I was terrified when these 3 big dogs came up to her but she was just waggling bum and jumping up at them!

I think it's definitely the best thing to do, to let them off straight away - that way they are free to learn all the doggie etiquette nice and early and then they know how to calm any tricky situations down. Bella is now nearly 5 months and has had 3 months' worth of mixing with all kinds of dogs in various situations - has never got into a scrape yet and I trust her to know what to do far more that I would!

Now you've got all those lovely walks ahead of you with little Pepsi - hurray!  :)
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 05:41:08 PM »
:) Aw well done little Pepsi - all those lovely smells to look forward to ......... and roll in !!! :lol:

:P Have fun xxxxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 09:41:24 PM »
:) Aw well done little Pepsi - all those lovely smells to look forward to ......... and roll in !!! :lol:

:P Have fun xxxxxxxxx
[snapback]125493[/snapback]

Urgghh that's the bit I'm NOT looking forward to  <_<

Pepsi was submissive with the Alsation and I also think he knew she was pup. We figured we'd see how she was and cope with whatever happened. I'm going to see about puppy classes next week so she'll come across other dogs there too.

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 11:49:28 AM »
We took her out at the weekend for the first time. At first she just laid down and would not move. Kev picked her up and put her on some grass and she was away!
We met another 12 week old pup who was scared of her! She was bouncy and lively and the poor little man was a bit shy. We went to the playing fields where we came across a huge Alsation. Pepsi was not the least bit put off. She laid down and rolled onto her back for him! He was very gentle with her and just gave her a bit of a sniff and a lick and didn't complain when she tried to bite his tail. She came home and had a nice long sleep. Usually if she is asleep and you go out the room she wakes up and follows you no matter how quiet you are but she didn't move.
[snapback]125359[/snapback]

Congrats on your first walk - I am hoping that I can take my 12 week old pup out this weekend for his first walk but he doesn't seem to like his lead at the moment.  When I put it on him he just sits down but when I put the lead on the floor for him to play with so he gets used to it he picks it up and carries it!!!!!

Any advice as to how I can get him to walk with me...I have tried bribery with biscuits!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 12:16:23 PM »
Doubt you'll need much bribery once you get out there, Em.

All those new smells etc should get you going. I have heard of a few who didn't take to it straight away though, so hope you get some good advice from someone else soon.

Enjoy that first walk, it's so exciting.

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Pepsi's 1st Walk
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 08:14:31 AM »
[snapback]125359[/snapback]

Congrats on your first walk - I am hoping that I can take my 12 week old pup out this weekend for his first walk but he doesn't seem to like his lead at the moment.  When I put it on him he just sits down but when I put the lead on the floor for him to play with so he gets used to it he picks it up and carries it!!!!!

Any advice as to how I can get him to walk with me...I have tried bribery with biscuits!
[snapback]128094[/snapback]

When we first took Pepsi out she planted her feet firmly and OH had to pick her up and place on some grass. Once she got a whiff of new smells she was off!! Good luck!  :D