Author Topic: Help Needed  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Help Needed
« on: May 19, 2005, 01:04:07 PM »
I have mentioned this on another topic but  I was hoping people would be able to help me out here.  I am hoping to take Oscar out for a walk at the weekend for the first time (he is only 12 weeks old) but he doesn't seem to think much of his lead!  I have put it on the floor for him to get used to and to play with and he seems to do this happily BUT when it comes to trying to walk him round the garden with it on he doesn't want to know he just sits down and shakes like a little scaredy dog!  I tried to bribe him with biscuits but that didn't work either!  
How am I going to get him use to it - I can't wait to take him out for the first time.

:(

Offline correna

• Site Member
Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 01:59:17 PM »
I have a 13 month old black cocker called Bailey who is my shadow, when i walked him he just needed to be able to see me all the time so made sure i was infront... maybe if you have a friend who has a socialable dog that you could let them mix and play with in the garden... then on the first walk take him out with the other dog so he knows its fun...
Bailey was never a problem but I am getting number 2 in about 6 weeks so he may be a different kettle of fish.

Giving him his lead to play with might not help as he may just want to tug on the lead and chew it as you walk which would make walking even more difficult.

Good luck, let me know how it goes
Correna & Bailey

Offline PennyB

Help Needed
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 02:09:19 PM »
Have you tried putting it on him and just letting him walk around with it on his own dragging it along. You may find that once you're out and and about he'll be pulling you on it anyway.

I didn't really practise with the lead in the garden at all and my two were raring to go once they realised that when out the garden we were actually going somewhere rather than just round the garden (and if they did initially sit down then bribery has always worked with my two, walking along waggling something yummy in front of their nose).

Try using higher value treats instead of biscuits (and make sure they've not just been fed 1st as well)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Help Needed
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 03:14:49 PM »
Hi,
my dog was just the same when she was so young. I thought that practising with the lead on in the garden before the big day would get her used to the lead, but she hated it and began doing somersaults instead.
But on the big day she was fine,I think that going out the front door instead of the back one into the big wide world just took her mind off things and she thoroughly enjoyed the first walk with the lead on!!
From karen
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

nelly

Help Needed
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 04:02:45 PM »
Hi we are lead training our Bob at the mo as well. He is a nightmare with his lead in the backgarden but as soon as he goes out of 'his' garden he is much more co-operative.

We just kept taking him for little walks just outside the back gate where no other dogs go and this has worked a treat.

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Help Needed
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 08:49:51 PM »
Lottie was awful with the lead in the garden, she used to bite it and pull it, and refused to walk.

First time out in the big wide world and things were very different.
She was so excited about everything she forgot the lead and we were off.

I hope you find that the excitement of being out will cure any problems.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Help Needed
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 11:06:16 PM »
I can remember Alfies first walk :) For weeks he had been doing his best to "escape" out the front door and then on the big day - he froze at the top of the step  :lol:

Once he was shoved off he was fine, he was just so excited about everything he even forgot to shy away after the third or fourth car passed. He done those first weeks of walks holding the lead in his mouth and thought that being told to sit beside the curb really ment "go ahead - swing on the lead" :) Now I only have to mention walkies or park and hes there jumping up to get his lead of the hook :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Whistler

• Site Member
    • http://m4hood.myphotoalbum.com
Help Needed
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 11:26:56 PM »
Ollie is 17 weeks old now and things with him on the lead have came on.  When we started with him exactly the same problem.  He was happy to go out for a walk just didn't like to have the lead on.  I kind of over came this with jogging with him to get him going and always talking in a reassuring voice.  But mainly have to put it doing to persistance.

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Help Needed
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 10:58:08 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions - just to let you know last night Oscar and I actually ventured out of the back gate into the big wide world and after a brief moment of him sitting down not wanting to go anywhere he had a quick sniff of everything and actually walked with me.  I think he is still unsure about it but hopefully over the weekend he may just get used to his lead and going walkies!

Thanks again everyone!

:D

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Help Needed
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 11:06:26 AM »
He will get used to it.  I recall thinking what a nightmare it was going to be but they just forget about their collar and lead as soon as they realise what's outside the door/gate  :D

Louise
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx