Author Topic: Poorly puppy? - Saga update  (Read 4633 times)

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
Poorly puppy? - Saga update
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:44:17 AM »
Not sure if I'm just over reacting but Hudson seems very lethargic this morning  :huh: Hubby got up with him at 6, fed him, played with him for a bit before leaving for work at 7. I got up at 8 and he's been laid next to me on the sofa snuggling most of the morning - very cute don't get me wrong but slightly out of character! He's asleep in his basket now. Not really shown an interest in his toys all morning. He has been slightly less hyperactive for the past couple of days, but not to this extent!

He's had squishy poo since we got him 3 weeks ago, I've been gradually changing his food and he's now on 50:50 Beta and Applaws. Poo has changed colour but not consistency yet. Also I think he poos too much, and always has - 4/5 times a day and same in the night! He's 13 weeks old. Hubby thinks I'm overreacting like a new Mum but I'm feeling like I want to take him to the vet! :-\ Thoughts?

Rachael

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Poorly puppy?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:50:34 AM »
I wonder if phoning
your Vet and explaining your worries
and seeing what they think might be
ok.
For what it's worth, because he is so little
i would want to go too.
steffxxx

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
I am tempted, just never sure if they're prepared to give advice over the phone without expecting you to come in anyway :huh:

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »
To be honest where pups are concerned, I would err on the side of over-react. If he has not been right for a few weeks I would certainly want to know what is going on and if we were heading in the right direction.

If after your chat with vets they want to see him, I think I would go, if only to put your mind at rest.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »
I'm in the process of changing Brodie's food and tbh it's not going too well (she has had a very sensitive stomach since she had pancreatitis a few months back). The second day she was very quiet and not herself. This is a food that is similar to the one she is on so I imagine a bigger swap in the terms of quality could have an effect on a pup with a sensitive stomach.

I agree with phoning the vet, even if it is nothing it's better to be safe than sorry.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Thanks guys. He seems to have perked up a bit now, playing with his favourite thing ever (the inside of a kitchen roll....  :huh: ) so maybe he was just tired. My work days are a little erratic some weeks and the days I do work I usually leave around 8 - so I wonder if he was just winding down expecting me to be leaving shortly. I'm going to ring the vets about the poo situation anyway I think! Want to reassure myself he doesn't have colitis if nothing else.

Rachael x

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »
I'm in the process of changing Brodie's food and tbh it's not going too well (she has had a very sensitive stomach since she had pancreatitis a few months back). The second day she was very quiet and not herself. This is a food that is similar to the one she is on so I imagine a bigger swap in the terms of quality could have an effect on a pup with a sensitive stomach.

I agree with phoning the vet, even if it is nothing it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm not sure if changing food is helping or not, but its only been a week - I think it can take a couple of weeks for poos to improve etc, so will just have to persevere. I had thought that his quietness might have been that his new food was better quality and so he was eating less additives and junk - thus making him less hyper!! But this morning he was just too quiet.

R x

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »
I am the queen if overreacting (ice cube incident anyone?!  :doh:) So I would phone the vet too and if you take him in take a sample with you. As his poos were not solid before the change of food then there could be something else causing it. Definitely better to be safe than sorry. Hope he's OK. x

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »
I am the queen if overreacting (ice cube incident anyone?!  :doh:) So I would phone the vet too and if you take him in take a sample with you. As his poos were not solid before the change of food then there could be something else causing it. Definitely better to be safe than sorry. Hope he's OK. x

Ice cube incident??  :shades:

I had assumed his previous squishy poop was down to all the cereals in Beta, but like you say I guess you can't assume anything with these pups!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »

I'm not sure if changing food is helping or not, but its only been a week - I think it can take a couple of weeks for poos to improve etc, so will just have to persevere. I had thought that his quietness might have been that his new food was better quality and so he was eating less additives and junk - thus making him less hyper!! But this morning he was just too quiet.

R x

My thoughts are it might be a little too rich for his system - but as said since it is an ongoing problem this is perhaps not the case, and so worth checking out. Hopefully he is just having a duvet day :luv:

I remember the ice cube incident :005:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »
Since it's been going on a while, I think I'd be inclined to go/speak to the vet too.

When Charlie was younger (and now, but less so) he was always more tired at the beginning of the week than at the end of it (after his busy weekend) - so that could be causing it.

Oh the ice cube incident  :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: You'll have to search for it (it'll give you a good laugh)...sorry Emma  :005: :005: :005:
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 11:16:57 AM »
He's haring round the house again now! Maybe he's just not a morning person :005: Also he has taken himself from the living room to his pads in the kitchen, with no prompting, to wee and poo twice now!!  :banana:

I'll have to have a look for this ice cube business  ;)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
Here you go :005:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=105716.0

Delighted he is more himself now - perhaps he was up partying last night? :lol2:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »
Here you go :005:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=105716.0

Delighted he is more himself now - perhaps he was up partying last night? :lol2:

Hangs head in shame!  :021:  :005:

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 11:30:06 AM »
Hahaha bless you!  :005: To be fair Hudson is always trampling through his water dish, trekking it all around the kitchen and then looking indignant at suggestions he may have wee'd on the kitchen floor! Wish you'd taken a chicken stock sample to the vets with you.... I work in a lab, that sort of thing makes our day hehe  :005: