Author Topic: Poorly puppy? - Saga update  (Read 4634 times)

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
Re: Poorly puppy?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »
He's still enjoying his chicken thankfully! Vet sold us some Royal Canin "gastrointestinal" for if we got bored of cooking,  not tried him on it yet.

Poos are worse than ever! Only saving grace is there are much less of them. Can't believe how much we were picking up before. Back to the vet on Tuesday so I'll keep you posted

Rachael X

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
He's still enjoying his chicken thankfully! Vet sold us some Royal Canin "gastrointestinal" for if we got bored of cooking,  not tried him on it yet.

Poos are worse than ever! Only saving grace is there are much less of them. Can't believe how much we were picking up before. Back to the vet on Tuesday so I'll keep you posted

Rachael X

So sorry you and pup are going through this, could it be that the poos are emptying his system of the bad stuff in his tum/system? and hopefully very soon you will see nicely formed poops in decreasing numbers. Would it be worth trying cooled, boiled water for him to drink.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 10:32:41 AM »
Sorry to hear he's not recovered yet. Is the vet going to take a poo sample if he's no better on Tuesday?

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 11:21:16 AM »
Only just seen this.

How is your lovely pupster now?  Any better?  I really hope so.  These things are always so worrying. X
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »
He's happy enough in himself. Enjoying his playing and walks and chicken and rice (and biting me to death!). He's only pooping once or twice a day now, as opposed to the previous 4/5 and same at night! They are still sloppy and horrible though  :-\ I guess taking a sample will be the next step if the vets not happy on Tuesday...

R x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
He's happy enough in himself. Enjoying his playing and walks and chicken and rice (and biting me to death!). He's only pooping once or twice a day now, as opposed to the previous 4/5 and same at night! They are still sloppy and horrible though  :-\ I guess taking a sample will be the next step if the vets not happy on Tuesday...

R x

Sounds like he is doing better if he enjoying walks, play etc., think that must be a good sign? You could take a photo of his poo and take it with you on Tuesday (I did this with Minstrel as it was easier to explain and he could  see what he was producing!!) he will probably need a sample later - but it will be a start.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 11:50:20 AM »
Its probably not connected but just a thought - Bonnie had really runny poos when little. We have since discovered that chicken actually makes her runny. I was giving it her for training and thought it was best for her sensitive puppy tummy but as soon as we switched to mince her poos became normal. She still gets runny poo if she has chicken.

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »
I just don't know. His poos don't seem to be happy whatever we feed him. But he's happy and growing well so... hopefully it's just a phase and nothing sinister.  :huh:

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 12:31:29 PM »
Its probably not connected but just a thought - Bonnie had really runny poos when little. We have since discovered that chicken actually makes her runny. I was giving it her for training and thought it was best for her sensitive puppy tummy but as soon as we switched to mince her poos became normal. She still gets runny poo if she has chicken.

Phoebe and Mia were like that if we gave them turkey  :shades: it might be worth a try not to give any more chicken, and try something else like venison? hope you get to the bottom of it real soon x x x 

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »
Does anyone think it might be the COOKED meat  :huh: Any cooked meat upsets Kez but most raw is o.k.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
Re: Poorly puppy? - Saga update
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 03:58:33 PM »
So we were back to vets this afternoon, after another week of horrendous orange sloppy poops (although at least only one or two a day now as opposed to the previous 6/7/8!) Also we have taken to eating it now, which wasn't happening before!  :020:

She has prescribed more (different) antibiotics, Royal Canin "GastroIntestinal" kibble, and also suggested he be wormed again - even though I only did it a fortnight ago, with the product his breeder recommended  :huh:

Not feeling entirely happy about it, a two week course of antibiotics seems like a lot for a baby and his normal flora will be seriously out of whack which is surely not what he needs right now! Vet seemed annoyed that I didn't want to pay for faecal culture yet - but seems pointless to me, if we are blanket treating with antibiotics anyway? Anything cultured will most likely have been killed off after 2 weeks worth of antibiotics anyway so we'd be no better off. Also, I won't lie, I was shocked how expensive it was.

The RC Gastrointestinal, I can't find any decent reviews of online, but seems to have some fairly questionable ingredients in to say it is for sensitive stomachs! And it stinks of cheese  :-\

I just want to do right by this little dog, but I feel like we're getting nowhere  :'(

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »
So we were back to vets this afternoon, after another week of horrendous orange sloppy poops (although at least only one or two a day now as opposed to the previous 6/7/8!) Also we have taken to eating it now, which wasn't happening before!  :020:

She has prescribed more (different) antibiotics, Royal Canin "GastroIntestinal" kibble, and also suggested he be wormed again - even though I only did it a fortnight ago, with the product his breeder recommended  :huh:

Not feeling entirely happy about it, a two week course of antibiotics seems like a lot for a baby and his normal flora will be seriously out of whack which is surely not what he needs right now! Vet seemed annoyed that I didn't want to pay for faecal culture yet - but seems pointless to me, if we are blanket treating with antibiotics anyway? Anything cultured will most likely have been killed off after 2 weeks worth of antibiotics anyway so we'd be no better off. Also, I won't lie, I was shocked how expensive it was.

The RC Gastrointestinal, I can't find any decent reviews of online, but seems to have some fairly questionable ingredients in to say it is for sensitive stomachs! And it stinks of cheese  :-\

I just want to do right by this little dog, but I feel like we're getting nowhere  :'(

I am sorry you are having such problems with your pup (& vet) - if you are not happy with the treatment would it be possible to get 2nd opinion or change vets?

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »
What about trying either PLAIN boiled rice or even cooked potato.........just for a day, no meat at all,   years ago I had two retrievers that could not tolerate meat, I used to get DOG food from the local mill.   it couldn't be a permanent thing because there's no nutrition in rice or potato but it may help the other end  :005:
regarding eating poo :020:, most of us have been through that, but don't worry about that just be with him every time & sort that out latter, it's not easy to stop & you will find lots of ideas............ that also takes  lot of sorting out.     Julie.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 05:07:40 PM »
Have you some insurance from the breeder still in force or your own insurance?  If you have, I would personally get all the tests done under that so you can rule out anything that could re-occurr later which would probably not be covered under new insurance.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 05:10:53 PM »
Brodie was on the low fat gastrointestinal RC wet food when she had pancreatitis (its fat content is 1.7%). RC is not a food I like, too much fillers, cereal and rubbish in it. At the time I thought its fat levels were more important than the ingredients though, if you know what I mean. It had a horrible consistency and Brodie didn't like it either.

I agree with Mudmagnets - try another vet if possible. It could be he does need these tests, but I believe in having a vet you are happy with and trust. There are a few foods out there that are good for sensitive stomachs, but it can take a bit of searching to find the one that suits your pup. I'd say getting another opinion should be your first priority though. A lot of vets will try and sell you the RC or other expensive but not great brands as they are on commission, so be aware of that.

www.whichdogfood.com is great for reviews, don't know if you already know about it.

x In memory of Barney x