Author Topic: puppy development  (Read 928 times)

Offline **kookie**

puppy development
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:30:34 PM »
How long is a puppy a puppy, if you know what I mean?
Bailey is 9, coming up 10 months and is/was the perfect puppy, timing etc.
Got Dora, now coming up 4 months and he has regressed to 4 months, but he is so big compared to her, their play is supervised at all times but we have to call 'time out' when he gets too boisterous. He thinks he is the same size as her.
She instigates much of the play, and he cant help but respond (he is a boy after all! ;) )
She is definitely smarter than him  :005:
Kookie, Bailey & Dora x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: puppy development
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »
Regression can be the downside to having 2 puppies so close in age. It would be nice if the younger one learned some good behaviours off the older one, but it tends to be the other way round more often than not. Hopefully only a temporary thing though :D.

I think if I were you I'd reinforce the things you've taught Bailey by spending some time training him on his own every day. If you're not already doing so it will be useful to spend time with each puppy on their own every day so they both have a strong bond with you, have the opportunity for one to one training, and don't become too dependent on each other.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 04:04:02 PM »
This is one of the reasons I like to have around 2 years between pups as Elaine says you have to be carful that they don't bond with just each other.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline **kookie**

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
They do have time apart, walks and play. She does miss him if he isn't with her, but Dora is most definitely a mummy's girl.
 :luv:

Bailey seeks out his mum's cuddles too.
We will just continue with the advice here and hopefully he will grow up a bit. :lol2:
Kookie, Bailey & Dora x

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »
You will defiantly benefit by taking each one, independently into the garden etc. & doing their training separately, teach each one the same commands, if you take them to training classes I suggest what I did, that was to have someone else to take one of the dogs to the same class but you train them at home yourself; that way they will learn to obey your commands. I am talking from the experience of having two sisters together, once trained they were a credit to us.
Hard work but well worth it in the end (they always have a friend)  Good luck. ;)
regards from Julie & Kez