Author Topic: Exessive Barking Part 2  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Exessive Barking Part 2
« on: June 04, 2005, 12:06:15 PM »
ok seem to have cracked it during the day he will go in his crate no problem he dont bark at all with the door closed and even if he did its ok cuz the neighbours are at work its the nights that are the problems!!
i have tried ..........................
1. putting him in with us but the crate wont fit
2 leaving the light on
3 putting a hot water bottle in with him so he feels warmer
4 filling a kong to keep him busy
5 putting a blanket over the top
6 using the room more so he dont feel alone
7 james has tried staying in the room with him too

but nothing works he will just not sleep in his crate at nights he just barks and barks and barks and barks (i think you get my drift) ha ha i love Bo to bits BUT i need my sleep :(
when i take him out cuz i think he might need toilet he comes out does nothing and just wants to play so i put him back in and it all kicks of again  :(
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help
carly x

Offline PennyB

Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 12:24:01 PM »
It won't necessarily work overnight. Think small babies!

Is it possible to put the crate in the living room overnight instead of the spare room (mine hated being in the dining area so I moved the crate to the living room and bliss). Settle him in living room in crate a couple of hours before you go to bed so he's quiet and you watch TV or whatever then let him out to the loo without fuss and then back in again and then a short time or however long go up to bed.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 03:17:55 PM »
you've just got to persevere I'm afraid.

I think trying the crate in another room is worth a try, as I said, Bella was definately more settled in the lounge and Penny found this too so maybe your lounge is worth a try?

If you know he's had a drink and been to the loo then you'll just have to ignore the crying, shut the doors and put some ear plugs in!

Only other thing you haven't mentioned is does he have a cuddly toy? Bella has a cuddly fluffy dog and she loves him! She rests her head on top of his body when she goes to sleep :wub: She also loves to be snuggled into blankets - we have vet bed in the bottom of the crate but she has fleece blankets on the top in one half as she loves to snuggle into those, she also had a snugglesafe warmer to start with (she doesn't now) - these stay warm for up to 12 hours rather than a hot water bottle that will just last an hour or so.

What about a radio? tv? something with sound to make the room feel more 'lived in'?

Rather than a full light have you got a dim lamp/dimmer switch? I find Bella is less likely to settle with a full light so I dim our light in the evenings so she settles.

I know it's hard when you're not sleeping and problems seem even more exagerated than normal but stick in there, you will get there in the end :)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 04:22:18 PM »
Cayley, he won't suddenly "stop" barking one night (well he might, but its highly unlikely  ;) ) - if you persevere with a stable, familiar routine for him, you will notice that the barking spells become shorter and the quiet periods become longer; until one night, you realise he hasn't barked at all

When you leave him to bark, you have to be really firm with yourself and not give in - if you do give in he will learn that if he barks for long enough, you eventually go back to him - and you will have disturbed nights for months  :blink:

You may well have disturbed nights for a few more weeks yet; and once he settles, you might find he still needs to "go out" for a wee/poo in the early hours still  :)  The good news is that although its like having a new baby, its a much shorter period - by 12 months old Bo will be all grown up  :o
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 08:01:38 PM »
is barking for 55mins SOLID normal tho???? i thought he was supposed to eventually give up then gradually bark less and less but its not happening he seriously just does not stop untill i go thru to him he shows no signs of lettin up he dont even take a breather its just none stop but like i said he is fine during the day its jst nights, i have js purchased a DAP diffuser as ive heard these could help settle him i just want to make him feel more at ease poor lil guy i hate him barking so much stressing himself out like that  :(
carly x

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 08:24:33 PM »
Jasper didn't bark but howled for hours and hours so 55 mins is not unusual at all.

Is there any way you could bring him in his crate into your room?
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 08:41:07 PM »
that was ust last night he has barked and barked for hours before and gets himself in to such a state how did you get jasper to stop??
carly x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 08:43:51 PM »
is barking for 55mins SOLID normal tho???? i thought he was supposed to eventually give up then gradually bark less and less but its not happening he seriously just does not stop untill i go thru to him he shows no signs of lettin up he dont even take a breather its just none stop but like i said he is fine during the day its jst nights, i have js purchased a DAP diffuser as ive heard these could help settle him i just want to make him feel more at ease poor lil guy i hate him barking so much stressing himself out like that  :(
[snapback]130474[/snapback]

Sounds perfectly normal - hes only been with you a week, hasn't he? You need to think in terms of him settling over the course of several weeks rather than a few days  :ph34r:  Remember he's still  tiny baby - Molo hadn't even left his mum at Bo's age.....life is so new and lots of things are scary  :unsure:

Try to relax - as he will sense your anxiety and any tension in the house and this will make him more stressed; and be consistent - he WILL stop, but it will take longer than you may have been expecting  :rolleyes:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 08:47:30 PM »
What's your normal routine at night.

Do you settle him down in his crate for a couple of hours or so before you go to bed or are you fussing with him downstairs and then just putting him in the crate in the spare room.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 08:55:02 PM »
our routine is feed him his supper around 10 he does his business then we have quiet time dim the lights etc and he chills out with me on the sofa then as he is falling asleep i put him in his crate around 11pm but by 12 (if im lucky enough to reach that long) he is howling the place down,  i leave the light switched of but leave the door open a wee bit so that a bit of light is in the room i leave the radio on and also have a hot water bottle in his crate.

we also tried to tire him out before bed but this just made him more hyper
how long can i expect him to bark for at night then? and what is it im doing wrong why is he gettin so upset at nights? i hate hearing him cry and bark like that not just cuz i need to sleep but because i no how upset he getting

he uses his crate all during the day goes in of his own accord too so its not that he dont like the crate    :(
carly x

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 08:57:51 PM »
that was ust last night he has barked and barked for hours before and gets himself in to such a state how did you get jasper to stop??
[snapback]130490[/snapback]

by bringing him into our room. He never made a sound after that.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 08:59:23 PM »
but his crate wont fit in our room  :(
carly x

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 09:00:17 PM »
and so is the crate still in your room and thats where its staying?
carly x

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 09:20:17 PM »
Is there no way you can get the crate into your room? We had to squeeze the crate inbetween the bed and the wall and I had to climb over hubby to get into bed. Maybe you can move a bit of furniture into another room for the time being to make room for it? But even bringing him the room wont bring instant results, it will take time, patience, and consistancy.

Caroline and Alfie

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 09:23:47 PM »
but if i manage to sqeeze the crate in is tat where it stays all the time? cuz he reall y likes his crate during the dAY but is your crate going to be staying their forever?
carly x