Author Topic: Exessive Barking Part 2  (Read 1996 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 09:27:39 PM »
but if i manage to sqeeze the crate in is tat where it stays all the time? cuz he reall y likes his crate during the dAY but is your crate going to be staying their forever?
[snapback]130508[/snapback]

I used to cart the crate up and down the stairs - or should I say hubby did :)

But by time he was five months we stopped using the crate at night and shut him in the bedroom with us so he still had to wake us if he needed out. Once we were sure of clean nights we let him have the run of the house
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 09:33:15 PM »
I used to cart the crate up and down the stairs - or should I say hubby did :)

But by time he was five months we stopped using the crate at night and shut him in the bedroom with us so he still had to wake us if he needed out. Once we were sure of clean nights we let him have the run of the house
[snapback]130510[/snapback]

ok so should i try using the crate in with us at night then in the morning put it back in the spare room? will this not confuse him?
carly x

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 09:47:52 PM »
Some people advise against moving the crate around because it can lead to confusion, Im just saying what worked for us, others experiences may differ.

Alfies crate was kept in the kitchen during the day as thats the room we live in so when I had to leave him home alone thats where he was left. i will have to be honest and say that Alfie has never liked his crate and used it as a "safe haven" as other pups have but he does go into it when bribed with a few biscuits and settles down peacefully.

Probably if we didnt live so close to other people and have a very noise sensitive neighbour I would have done things differently. But we had to do what worked for us and our neighbours. Alfie is a year old now and we have just stopped crating him, something hubby is extremely pleased about as he hated the crate from the word go :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline PennyB

Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 09:57:50 PM »
Alfies crate was kept in the kitchen during the day as thats the room we live in so when I had to leave him home alone thats where he was left

I agree, as I was always told (and read) that the crate should be somewhere that you spend a lot of time in. Your spare room sounds like its a room that is used on occasion (does the crate have to be in the spare room). Is he allowed in other areas of the house.

Do you spend time with him downstairs in the evening and if so do you let him
have a quiet time on his own to settle down before he goes to sleep or are you playing with him. It may be that he needs wind-down time (on his own and I dont mean in the spare room) before you go to bed.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 10:06:39 PM »
Does Bo have anywhere like a playpen in an area of the house where you are most of the time - such as the kitchen or living room?

His barking at night may be due to him feeling abandoned, which will improve as his bond with your family increases - and a good way to do this is to allow him to spend time in the area's of the house you are - even when you are not interacting with him  :)

Molo's playpen/crate is next to our dining table in the kitchen - and he rests in there during the day while I cook, and while we eat; so when he was a pup he could still see us, and (I believe), bond with us, even when we weren't playing or interacting directly with him.

He also sleeps there at night - and has done from the first day; like you are trying, with a radio, snuggle-pup, nightlight, a blanket from his breeder that smelt of his mum and blanket over the crate. For the first 10 days, I slept in the living room nearby.

An idea has just occured to me; have you left him an item of your clothing to snuggle up to at night? Or can you ask his breeder if they have a towel or piece of bedding that smells of his dame?

I know how hard it is not to get upset at his cries - pups have a way of sounding as if they are being massacred  :rolleyes:  Different people deal with it in different ways - as I have said before, I believe in starting as you want to go on, and setting the "rules" from day 1 - but I know others think this is cruel  :ph34r: Its not that I'm not tempted........... ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 12:13:30 PM »
he has a blanket with his mothers scent on it and i always put a piece of clothing in with him at night but.............................. last night i had a MAJOR BREAKTHRU i sqeezed the crate in our room he went in at 10.30 and i woke up at SIX O CLOCK this morning to find him still fast ASLEEP  :D  :D  :D  i couldnt belive it !
when he did wake up at 7 we moved the crate back in to the spare room and he has been going in and out of it all day as usual so this seems to have finally worked for us thanks for all the help and advice on this subject  : :)  :P no doubt il be pleading for more advice soon tho haha
carly x

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 12:20:56 PM »
So glad you got some sleep last night at last :)

Dont forget that tonight he may play up again, with pups it often feels like one step forward and two back, but perservere with the same rountine and he will get there.

Good luck with tonight
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 12:22:16 PM »
So glad you got some sleep last night at last :)

Dont forget that tonight he may play up again, with pups it often feels like one step forward and two back, but perservere with the same rountine and he will get there.

Good luck with tonight
[snapback]130571[/snapback]

im glad i got some sleep too im more calm now jus hope it works for him xxx
carly x

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2005, 01:53:24 PM »
yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy just to let you all know that is TWO nights sleep i have had now Bo settled straight away in our room again last night, again thanks fr all the help everyone xx  :D  :D
carly x

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Exessive Barking Part 2
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2005, 01:59:46 PM »
Good to hear that its working for you all :) Now you will have more energy to cope with the daytime trials :)
Caroline and Alfie