Author Topic: Am starting to lose the will to live.... UPDATE PG 5  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Am starting to lose the will to live.... UPDATE PG 5
« on: February 03, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »
I'm really sorry to start yet another thread about toileting but Archie is nearly 6.5 months old and I've now been fighting the battle of toileting inside for nearly 18 weeks  :o  :'(

From day one, I could not get the little  >:D to either use paper or go outside.  I quickly abandoned the paper but even though he's always been taken out every 20-30 mins (and currently every time I leave my chair - he lies at my feet), he continues to use my house as a bathroom (many different spots, not just one area).

His main problems are still eating grass and chasing leaves.  To cap it all, he HATES rain and refuses to do anything outside when it's wet.

I've just come back from a lovely walk, kept him in garden before going indoors.  He managed a wee then wanted to come inside.  During the time I took my shoes off, he'd done a poo in the hallway  :embarassed:

This is a daily occurrence, I know when he does his no. 2's so keep him outside for as long as possible but I just can't stay outside forever and inevitably, he'll come back in and the minute my back is turned, out it plops  ph34r

I wanted to use a petsitter in April when I visit my sister in Scotland but they told me he really needed to be reliably housetrained so he's booked into kennels for the first time.  

I am so disheartened, I have put so much effort into this (as I'd already been though it with my Odie) but I must go outside with him around 30+ times a day.....  

Surely at this age, he should not still be doing this on such a regular basis (although I realise the odd accident is inevitable).  I can't see what more I can do with him, he understands the toilet words I use as he bounds to the front door.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
Re: Am starting to lose the will to live......
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
Poor you , it must be so disheartening when you are trying so hard to crack it. Sorry I don't have any advice, but hopefully it'll just click one day. :bigarmhug:

Offline HoneyG

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »
No advice from her either I am afraid...just thought you sound like you needed a hug xx
Beki (and Honey!)

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »
Oh Lesley - poor you - I can't believe you are still having problems with him. What about moving him to a raw diet so at least it's easier to clean up? Not a solution I know but it might ease the clean-ups for you. Big hugs to you for your perseverance  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »
Sorry to hear  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Just trying to look back on some of your threads, is Archie crated at all?  Just wondering whether you should just restrict where he can go for a while?  You could use some baby gates or alternatively could you put a harness on him and a long tethering line and keep him in one area while you are pottering around?  When he has been to the toilet outside, he can have some freedom inside until he associates the two.

It is obviously now a habit and Archie must be confused about what is expected? :dunno: I also would not put paper / puppy pads down anymore as it is almost giving him permission to toilet indoors.  (just seen that you dont)

Sorry not sure what else you could do somebody who has rehomed a dog brought up in kennels might have some useful tips.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
Have you considered calling in a behaviourist?  There may be something that's happening that is not making it click with him and someone that can see what's actually happening (rather than us on the other side of a computer) may be able to give you the advice that finally works  :D

It is inevitable that people will try and help on this thread and give you advice that you already know and have tried - I hope you find the answer soon  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »
Thanks  :luv:

I was sort of holding off asking a behaviourist in case they'd say he was still young but surely by nearly 7 months old, he should have got it by now!!

Yes, not used pads since he was 9/10 weeks old.  He is restricted at the moment to living room (with me), hallway and kitchen.  He used to do it lots in the kitchen but his preferred spots are now the hallway mainly and sometimes the living room.  Fortunately, we have no carpets etc as we're still doing our new house up but obviously want to lay some wood flooring in the hallway soon and carpets elsewhere but can't do this until he's stopped this behaviour.

I've tried keeping him on a lead outside but all he does is try to bite it and doesn't concentrate on doing his business.

I had to stop crating him as he would actively seek it out and poo or wee inside  ph34r 

I just must be fated when it comes to puppies......
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »
Oh, poor you.  I won't go into chapter and verse about how Toby eventually "got there" because you've probably done it anyway BUT what I would do right now is totally cut off his access to the hallway, if you can, then give it a good soak with Simple Solution (a miracle in a bottle) to kill the scent that has been encouraging him to go there.

Good luck, it does wear you down, but I know you will get there eventually. xx

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline mitches

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
I am so sorry to hear Archie is still pooing indoors, must be so frustrating, especially as you are putting in so much effort :(

I take it you've tried giving him yummy smelly special treats like, cooked chicken or sausage and loads of praise when he does do it outside? This has kind of worked for us as our puppy goes daft for these treats.

Big hugs and really hope the situation improves quickly!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 04:51:58 PM »
I had that with Lyla...and for longer than you. I thought it was me, turns out she was just a lazy little devil ph34r
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
Thanks, which is best the spray or big bottle of Simple Solution?

Mitches - yes, he has mega praise and lots of yummy treats every time he goes outside.  You may not know as you're fairly new to COL but my previous cocker had exactly the same problems - I was at my wits end with him and posted frequently on here, but he eventually clicked at 20 weeks old, you can see Archie is nearly 26 weeks so it's a lot worse than last time unfortunately  :-\

Sheryl - how long did it go on with Lyla?  What eventually worked for you?

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 04:57:57 PM »
Simple Solution comes in a spray (for hard floors) or in ordinary bottles for carpets.  With the carpet one, you literally pour it over the areas that have been soiled - it needs to soak through to the underlay so plenty needs to go on.  It kills the scent and removes stains too.  If you need the carpet one, I would recommend the big bottle.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
Well, we haven't got carpets down, it's chipboard (waiting to layout hardwood flooring and carpets) so I assume the spray one would work?  However, I'd be on forever trying to spray the large areas he's soiled so I wonder if the carpet one would work (bucket and mop)??

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
If the chipboard is only temporary then yes, I would just give it a good soaking from the bottle.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »
The problem with chipboard though is that it will soak up smells and keep them in there.  I always use white vinegar as well, but never use anything that has ammonia in it.

I was thinking of the leash for in the house rather than outside.  Incidentally when he does go outside, does he go in the same place?  Do you bring him in straight away or stay outside with him for a while longer so he has time to have a poo too?  Its not the right time of the year I know, but if it gets Archie on the right track then all the better.

Jinley is 2½ and still does not ask to go out.  She just stares at the back door and if my OH isnt taking any notice of her she is still known to go in the house.