Author Topic: Am starting to lose the will to live.... UPDATE PG 5  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Am starting to lose the will to live......
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:52 AM »
Thanks, will try the tethered close to me route and see what happens.  On occasions, I've managed to stop him mid poo but never can I stop him mid wee (well, I can't either  :shades: :lol2:).

I'm going to get some simple solution and give the hallway etc a really good scrub.  I already use a spray similar to this but it has good reviews so may as well try something else. 

My hallway is big and wide so a big difficult to partition off, I've also run out of panels (using them outside for his toilet space).
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 08:03:20 PM »
Well, I had a perfect few hours with Archie today.  He kept going to the living room door when he wanted to go out.  No accidents of any kind in the house (I spent much of the day outside however which isn't ideal).  I came back from the school run to NO WEE OR POO which is unheard of - he actually waited until I got back and done them in the garden!!

However, from this moment on, it all went pear shaped  :-\  He's done 3 wees and a poo inside since teatime despite me again being out numerous times with him so I know he can do it but sometimes chooses not to, which is extremely frustrating  >:D

Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline mitches

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »
Thats such a pity after having such a successful day :(
Hope hes even better tomorrow.
Elaine

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »
Well I thought it was going to be a full :banana: :banana: but half of one is good enough.

Did it get very busy around tea time which might have set him off again?  Could it be due to raised voices (the childrens of course) :shades: or other excitable or stressful incident?

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 09:32:15 AM »
Oh, I have no doubt it was the kids (although one went straight out to play) but it is a busy time sorting bags/school work and dinner so I'm not confined to the living room so he can "ask", I'm dotting around all over the place.

Things are definitely getting better bit by bit though, on Wednesdays I'm at school early with the girls for sports training and I usually came back to accidents but not today  :dance04:

Funnily enough, he's started to jangle my keys which are kept in the front door when he wants out and I've not even trained him to do anything like that before  :005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:57 AM »
Aaarrgggghhhh!!!!  He's just been outside (done nothing apart from eat grass and dug stones up) come back in and within 5 mins weed and pooped in the hall  >:D >:D

Offline ShazzaC

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
I've been following your post and I do feel for you! 
I'm no expert, I'm sure there are a lot of things I could be doing better with Blue, but he's good now on the old wees and poos. Two things spring to mind - could it possibly have become an attention thing? Could he be picking up on your feelings (ie desperation for him to do it outside already!!), or a habit?  :huh: How does he seem when he does it inside? Is he relaxed/wary? Is it time for a behaviouralist?

It must be very frustrating and you are clearly trying very hard!  :-\

Sharon.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
If he's allowed to roam about the house out of sight (without understanding that he is expected to toilet outside), then this will happen.  And it does now seem to be a habit.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is what it looks like.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Wmjat

• Teddy Boy
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 10:47:25 AM »
Hi there,

I don't know for sure but it could be because you are both outside so much that he feels like that's his home and not indoors - I know that sounds daft but just before Christmas I was enjoying a hot coffee in the back garden I was covered with a blanket to keep myself warm so it was cosy. I'd been sat out for an hour or so...Ted was with me the full time.. He started to cry at the  back door to be in. I let him in and inside a minute he had wee'd. My thoughts were, he knew he had to go to a door before he wees or poos, however he had associated at that time the outdoors as a place he shouldn't wee, because we were cosy etc...he was about 8 months old then...

Also when ted was a little younger every time I thought we had cracked it he relapsed and I think it was because he was getting free reign of the house.
I would maybe try restricting him to areas where you are. Every time he goes to the door no matter if it's living room to hallway, kitchen to dining room take him to the area where you want him to do his business. Maybe use a lead so you have control. Once he does a wee or poo then praise and bring him straight back in... If you know he's wee'd poo'd and not ate or drank much since then I would ignore the taking him out as he may just want to eat leaves or drink rain water!! I've been a victim of this type of thing with Ted.. Ha ha ha!

I'm no expert but  maybe it's worth a try..

Good luck xx

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 10:54:07 AM »
Sounds like somehow (multiple baby gates?) you need to stop his access to the hall. It seems as though that the place he is going the most and it's the place he mustn't be allowed to enter unsupervised. As it is chipboard I would still be worried about it soaking in and therefore some smell remaining. I would start with a good steam clean, then simple solutions. The wood will need to dry out really thoroughly which in this weather is going to be tricky. Maybe a cheap electric fan heater might help? If it were me I would have crumbled by now I think. You are doing really well but maybe the time has come to get a behaviourist. They might well have a trick up their sleeve that we haven't thought of yet. If they do, I'm sure many new puppy owners would be willing to part with hard cash for it!  ;)  :bigarmhug:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 11:11:01 AM »
If he's allowed to roam about the house out of sight (without understanding that he is expected to toilet outside), then this will happen.  And it does now seem to be a habit.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is what it looks like.

He's not, he stays in the living room with me, it's only when I get up (to take him outside) that he's been doing it before I manage to open the door  >:(  All rooms leading off the hallway are barred and the hallway is also gated very small. 

He knows exactly where he should be toileting, as he goes to the door and sometimes performs on my cue words. 

You have to remember, I've been here done that with my previous cocker.  I done all the right things with him too but guess I've just been really unlucky to have had 2 stubborn and slow to click pups.....

ShazzaC - he is completely relaxed when he does it inside.  He won't be picking up on my feelings as I don't show them (I learned that with Odie, my previous cocker).

Wmjat - cosy isn't the word I'd describe when waiting outside for him to perform  :shades: :lol2:

I am amazed at just how many wees he has in a day - 30+ at times, so when you think about it, there isn't much time left for me to anything else......

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2014, 11:17:39 AM »
You're right. You are doing everything you are meant to be doing. I really feel for you.  :bigarmhug:
I can't remember if you ever had his urine tested. 30 times a day sounds like quite a lot? (I know kibble fed dogs drink more than wet fed but I can't remember if they pee more too, sorry.) Might be worth a shot. A urine infection was my Archie's issue right at the start and it caused him to pee for England!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »
When I say 30+ times, this can range from a lake  :lol2: to a small patch!  He does drink a full bowl of water a day (one of those large ceramic spaniel bowls from Pets at Home).  I've not had him tested though Emma, he hasn't shown any signs of an infection but not sure if signs are always apparent  :huh:

Do wet food fed dogs really not drink/wee as much?

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »
They definitely don't drink as much because they get moisture from the food but I don't know about weeing as much since they are still getting moisture, just from a different source. All I would say is that Archie drinks from his bowl very rarely. Once, maybe twice a day. I don't notice the level going down, I just replace it with fresh every morning. He doesn't go out for a wee last thing at night or first thing in the morning. He just goes on his walks. Either he just holds it in, or he wees less. Not sure which though.  :dunno:

Offline ShazzaC

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »
You are unlucky to live through this twice!  >:D

I really hope it all clicks into place very soon.