Author Topic: Puppy classes Cardiff area  (Read 3414 times)

Offline cardiffbec

Puppy classes Cardiff area
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:00:57 AM »
I noticed a few welsh users on here, can anyone recommend good puppy training classes near Cardiff?

Offline Sep1702

Re: Puppy classes Cardiff area
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »
I know there are a few as I have googled it although we've not started any yet so I will be very interested in any replies  :D

Sarah

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ElvieMogs

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:01:28 PM »
Sorry Bec I was going to tell you about our experiences & forgot!  We took Nefyn to two puppy classes

http://www.k9kindergarten.co.uk run classes at Heath Park. They do a 6 week puppy course and also follow on courses. Vicky who runs it is an excellent positive trainer.  There's new stuff to learn each week so you must practice plenty at home as you don't get to repeat a lot in the class. 

We also took her to Tina Griffiths who runs a Gwend Bailey Puppy School franchise. She is a lovely trainer but doesn't do any other training  http://www.puppyschool.co.uk/tutors_search_results_detail.php?tutor_id=105&county=Wales

Probably the best trainer we've come across is Shaun Kenvyn. He's an APDT member and runs classes at St Brides Wentloog, so a bit out of Cardiff but quite accessible from your area   http://www.k9traintime.co.uk

The one place a wouldn't recommend is Rockwood in Caerphilly

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 11:07:56 PM »
I would try Caroline Cowan http://cardiffcaninecitizens.com/

She's a dog warden for the Vale of Glamorgan but is also a behaviourist as well and does classes of all kinds. She often helps with dogs at Cardiff dogs home and rescues like Four paws etc with some of their dogs

She's also responsible of the big dog show over at Fonmon Castle next bank holiday weekend (end of May)

+ as said before Shaun Kenvyn
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Hopesmum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »
I would also highly recommend Caroline Cowan who runs Cardiff Canine Citizens. ( website link on previous reply). She is very knowledgeable, highly qualified and now runs Cardiff Canine Citizens full time. I took Hope :luv:to her Cardiff classes and she has achieved her Bronze, Silver & Gold awards. We also did a recall course in between the Silver & Gold- (Hope, like many cockers, develops selective hearing when she finds an interesting sniff!) Caroline makes the classes interesting,very helpful and fun for both dogs and owners. Hope really enjoyed going and we both miss our weekly time @ 'training school'. My daughter recently completed the puppy class with her Border Collie and a friend's labradoodle completed the puppy class and will be taking his Bronze on Thursday. It's good to hear of another COL er in the Cardiff area. :D

Offline Sep1702

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 05:02:46 PM »
Hi
Has anyone done any gun dog training in the area? Mali is now 20 weeks old and we've not done any kind of classes with her yet. We do live East Cardiff so may check out the Wentloog trainer.

Offline cardiffbec

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
Thank you all! I spoke to Caroline yesterday, think I might get her around for a home visit to get some advice pre-vaccinations, then we'll try the puppy classes once he can go out  :)

Offline Welsh cocker

• Wilma
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
Not sure about gundog training, but Rockwood dog training in Caerphilly do obedience, agility and tv training. I have taken Wilma to their puppy obedience classes and a previous dog for agility lessons. The trainers are knowledgable and patient. They also offer 1:1 consultation sessions but I have no experience of these.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »
Thank you all! I spoke to Caroline yesterday, think I might get her around for a home visit to get some advice pre-vaccinations, then we'll try the puppy classes once he can go out  :) 
I can highly recommend Caroline too.  ;)
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline cardiffbec

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »
Great! She is coming for a puppy visit tomorrow morning :)

Offline cardiffbec

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »
While we're in a Cardiff thread already, has anyone found a good doggy day care provider?

Thanks!

Offline Hopesmum

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 07:58:40 PM »
Hi again. I forgot to say on my earlier post that when Hope first came home she was too old for puppy classes so I asked Caroline to come for a 2 hr home visit. It had been over 30 years since I last went to dog training classes with our first Golden Retriever and ideas/methods have changed so much since then.(Thank Goodness!) Caroline came and explained/demonstrated positive training with Hope (who thoroughly enjoyed herself 'playing' with Caroline although she was really learning!) Caroline also answered and helped with the numerous questions I had about 6month old Hope. Progress followed lots of practise in a variety of different places and situations. We enjoyed it so much that we then went on to complete the 3KC Good Citizens awards.
I'm sure you and your pup will enjoy and learn a lot from Caroline's visit tomorrow. She too has a lovely dog called Hope, who she occasionally brings to help out in the classes. Please remember me to her if you can tomorrow. Nb. Just heard that Ki my Ex's labradoodle has passed his Bronze award this evening.   Enjoy your pup - they grow up so quickly. Hope is now nearly 3 1/2 yrs old and is a lovely, friendly,  loyal, patient ( 6 grandchildren - all from dog owning families), Velcro dog who is loved and appreciated so very much.

Offline cardiffbec

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »
Aw that's lovely to hear! The visit went really well, she recommended some toys and games to play with him and they have made him much more manageable! Yesterday was our first accident free day and he's sleeping in his crate too!