Author Topic: Very large garden....pen or lead?  (Read 677 times)

Offline Triggs100

Very large garden....pen or lead?
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:01:39 PM »
Just seeing what others would do in my situation,
We have a very large garden with a stream and lots of places to discover for a very young pup. Now obviously I'm not going to just let him go off on his own but wondered if I should put a pen out for him so I know he is safe or to walk around with him on a lead?? What to do?!?

Offline cardiffbec

Re: Very large garden....pen or lead?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »
We were advised to take him out on a lead until he has done his business to stop him getting distracted and then give him some free time to do spaniel things. He just spends the first 10 mins biting the lead though so most of the time we let him do his own thing and just wonder around the garden until he's done!

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »
We too have a garden with a large stream/small river along one boundary.  We've never had dogs that needed a garden fence before, but now we have cockers things have - er - changed.  We fenced off half the garden for the dogs and it contains the patio, a lawn, a huge tree and some plants in pots.  The other half the garden has the river and all the flower beds..............  It works well.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 02:00:21 PM »
I lived in a farm house for a while (no fence and lots of rabbits and pheasants about).  As a temporary measure I just got some stakes and green plastic fencing from B&Q and fenced an area outside the back door so I could leave the door open on warm days and the dogs could sunbathe.  Simple and cheap (and great for peace of mind).  I'd do similar for a puppy to give him/her some freedom when outside.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
Another one who has a large, uneven garden and not enclosed.  I initially used the green safety mesh but it kept blowing down so am now using stock fencing (got it from Amazon).  As it's not a permanent addition, I've used tall metal pins to make an enclosed and safe area in the garden for him, his "hound pound" as we like to call it  :005:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:45:22 PM »
We don't have that large a garden but have a pond and a couple of cats who might want space so this thread is very useful. We were wondering whether to fence the pond of or make a pen. Think we might make the pen - have got the green B&Q stuff so will have to try it.  Our though is when we can watch the puppy carefully we will let him wonder and when we want to lie on a deck chair or do the gardening it will be pen time, poss with a deck chair inside it  :005:
Kate