Author Topic: Sore feet after walks in certain fields. Drives him mad!  (Read 504 times)

Offline Zig96

Sore feet after walks in certain fields. Drives him mad!
« on: December 21, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »
Does anyone have any experience of sore pads and paws after walks?
We have a 6 month old working cocker who goes mad after some walks with sore feet and trys ripping up the carpet and rugs.
We had similar with springers and stubble fields so stay off that. Worst seems to be after water meadows. Just grass and streams. Minimum reeds or nettles.
Sometimes woods set it off sometime not. Driving me mad seeing him in pain and not knowing what causes it.
Vet reckons allergy or pesticides. No one spraying this time of year though and not in meadows.
Use sudocream or vaseline. Just bought paw wax and trying half a piroton.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Will

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Sore feet after walks in certain fields. Drives him mad!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:53:47 PM »
I've heard of a solution of bicarbonate of soda helping, so googled it to see if any source mentioned the amount needed, and came across this http://www.happytailsspa-blog.com/2014/08/07/soothing-foot-bath-recipes-for-your-dogs-itchy-paws/

There are lots of other ideas as well as bicarb., but I don't know how reliable a source this website is. Looks pretty sensible to me and it's information from vets, so hopefully OK.

Offline Zig96

Re: Sore feet after walks in certain fields. Drives him mad!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
Excellent link thank you. I'll try the bicarb thing as have some in the cupboard already. His medicine cabinet is starting to look bigger than ours!
Still can't figure out what causes it and what to avoid. They mention pollen and summer allergies but not much about now.
Thanks for your help.