Author Topic: Out of the crate at night  (Read 1210 times)

Offline jla

Out of the crate at night
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:39:24 PM »
So Jynx has been crated at night (in our room) since she came home with 0 issues - slept through, clean and happy to go in there every night.

We want to start weaning her off the crate so started leaving the door open, she still goes in and settles down fine and sleeps ok but about 3am she gets up and wants to play.  No amount of telling her to go back to sleep stops her and she disturbs our other dogs so we end up putting her back in there and shutting the door?

Any tips on stopping this, or is she just telling us she's not quite ready yet?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Out of the crate at night
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 06:42:05 PM »
I'm not sure how old Jynx is (fab name) but Pearl still does this age 4  :005: I have taught her a settle command which you could use each time you put Junx in her crate, or when you see she starts to get tired and outs herself to bed....

It's also very useful in pubs when you want some peace and quiet  ;)

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 06:50:22 PM »
Junx?? Are we talking Chinese copies then???? :shades: :005: :005:

BTW love JYNX's name! ;)  (sorry Pearly couldn't resist!!)

Off topic a bit, sorry, but it reminds me of a friend of mine that wanted to name his dinghy........went to a car boot sale and found a 'Lot' of Consonants and a couple of Vowels....................made 'PHLEGMGOB'........norty boy!!!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »
Junx?? Are we talking Chinese copies then???? :shades: :005: :005:

BTW love JYNX's name! ;)  (sorry Pearly couldn't resist!!)

Off topic a bit, sorry, but it reminds me of a friend of mine that wanted to name his dinghy........went to a car boot sale and found a 'Lot' of Consonants and a couple of Vowels....................made 'PHLEGMGOB'........norty boy!!!

:lol2: predictive text

Offline jla

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:30:18 AM »
She's 7.5 months.  She knows 'bed' and will take herself back in there, it's just the nightly waking that is killing us  ;)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 09:56:09 AM »
Didn't you read the cocker handbook before you had Jynx - I am sure it says a nightly waking to play routine is essential  :005: :005:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Another 4 yr old nighttime norty here! Archie has never slept for more than two or three hours at a time. He usually manages to occupy himself and I often wake up to find an old chew or a toy in the bed with us.  ph34r Unfortunately he does have a habit of pawing me in the face if he thinks he can get a cheeky midnight cuddle but mostly he will now accept a quick "back to bed" and settle down again.

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »
we have tried several times to wean orin off his crate but he loves it.  he will sleep in our bedroom on the bed fine but if he is on the floor he wants to be on the bed then he gets hot and wakes you up to take him to his cage. 

we have tried putting him in the cage and leaving the door open and he either shuts in himself or he will come and get you as though to he was thinking Doh mums forgot to shut my door.

once in his cage with the door shut all night not a squeak.