Author Topic: Puppy Has Bitten My Son Today 😔  (Read 9588 times)

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
Puppy Has Bitten My Son Today 😔
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »
Our golden Cocker Betty is 13 weeks old and we've had her for five weeks today. A couple of weeks ago she started growling at the children when they touch her or try to pick her up. It's not everytime, just occasionally. Tonight my son was playing with his marble run when Betty came over to have a nosey. He carefully picked her up to put her in another room away from the danger of the marbles. As he did this she turned, growled and bit him on the cheek. I'm really shocked and upset. Our last Cocker, a male blue roan would never have dreamt of such a thing. He was the kindest, most gentlest of dogs and was so so tolerant of  the children. His wonderful temperament was the reason I chose to get another Cocker Soaniel after he sadly passed three years ago. We chose our puppy carefully after meeting Betty's gentle and loveable Mum. We never met her Dad. I'm really gutted this has happened. Had anyone got any tips?  Betty needs to know that this behaviour is not acceptable and I'm very worried having three young children in the house. Thanks. 

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: Puppy Has Bitten My Son Today 😔
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:21:59 PM »
13 weeks is still young and she is still finding what is acceptable. As the children are smaller she probably sees them as equals which is something you need to work on. All dogs are different, so your old Spaniel may have been soft and gentle and there is nothing to say your puppy will not be. She is still finding her boundaries and you are going to need to be very firm in your approach.

Use this forum for any problems as I know of others who have had problems. Our boy went through an awful stage of the cockerdiles and I wrote about it on here. Now he is the softest little sock thief you could meet and our children cannot move without having a spaniel looking at what they are doing.

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:37:35 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Yes I think we definitely need to work on where she lies in the pecking order! It's funny because she was the most quiet and calm in her litter. My friend has her brother and she is very bossy and dominant over him when they get together. Funny how she has changed. I really hope we can sort this out. 😄

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »
You don't say how old your children are - could it be that one of them has picked her up a bit clumsily or possibly she's being picked up too often? I do agree with Mark, she's still very young and probably sees the children as playmates and equals. Maybe you could decide on set times for the children ro play with her and then let her have time out to sleep and they can also play in peace without her getting in the way. She needs to respect they don't want to play with her all the time and they also need to know she still needs lots of sleep. I think its probably just a question of over excitement but nevertheless it needs to be nipped in the bud! Good luck!

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:00:09 PM »
Thanks Bizzylizzy. My children are 3, 7 and 9 years. It was my 7 year old that picked her up and was bitten. He's pretty good at handling Betty, as is my 9 year old. At times my 3 year old can be a bit over zealous and her hugs can be a bit too much. We've told them all that when Betty is sleeping she must be left alone. Sometimes I carry Betty onto the school playground when I'm picking up the children. Most of the time she's fine but sometimes growls when children approach her. It certainly needs nipping in the bud - fiery red head!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »
It sounds as though Betty has found a wonderful home with Children to play with! 

Pearl was the quiet one in her litter but definitely the boss! She would whip all the pups up into a frenzy then leave them to it while "supervising" - I've written many times on here, that she is an anxious dog and does need careful handling.  I'm not suggesting Betty does but it may be wise to not let your 3 year old handle her too much until she has passed the "cockerdile phase". 

Can I ask how much sleep Betty is getting? I found that Pearl became fractious if she didn't have a set pattern/routine of sleep for up to 18 hours a day.  I've enforced the routine with Coral who was a delightful pup up to the teenage stage but that's more about obedience outside and is a lovely, sweet natured cocker spaniel indoors!

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Re: Puppy Has Bitten My Son Today
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:00:14 AM »
My first thought was the same as bizzylizzy's.  It sounds like the puppy has in some way had a negative experience with one of the children and is now anxious about being picked up by them.  I would ask the children to stop picking her up and would make sure the 3-year-old in particular is supervised with her all the time.  If the older children need to move her from a situation, they could use treats to lure her away (which will also be good recall training). 

Does she have a safe place she can go to get away from the children?  Puppies and children are a great mix and can enjoy playtime together but Betty also needs a safe place of her own that she can access herself when she's had enough and where the children know not to disturb her.  I would use a crate for this and I would also crate her for short periods during the day to force her to rest as sometimes puppies don't know when to stop.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:21:07 AM »
I agree with twiceover2 but would like to add that many dogs simply don't like being picked up or hugged, and that should be respected. The younger of my current two Cockers is like that and when he was a puppy I taught him that being picked up and handled by me, my husband and a friend, groomed by me, checked by a vet etc. was something he could get used to and feel safe and fairly comfortable about. But I did it gradually to give him time to get used to things. He was never a cuddly puppy and I respected that. He likes to lay down on the sofa next to me, but he rarely chooses to really cuddle up, and that's fine by me. Perhaps Betty will be like that?

Personally I'd also stop taking her in the playground. When she growls at the children there she's telling you that she's uncomfortable with the situation she's in. That's not dominance or anything to do with pecking order. She's worried and not coping. The growling is a sign of that, the only way she can tell you and the children that she's uncomfortable. Worst case scenario is that one day she feels pushed beyond her limit and bites or attempts to bite a child through fear. I know you wouldn't want to risk that, so perhaps keeping her out of the playground and at a reasonable distance from the schoolchildren, one where you can see she's relaxed, would be a good idea.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 10:07:30 AM »
I remember picking Humphrey up when we first had him and had my hand under his tummy rather than supporting his bottom. He yelped and screamed and I learned afterwards that can be very painful for them if they're not picked up correctly. He's still uncomfortable with it now and I'm always very careful how I pick him up - he's obviously never forgotten it.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 10:19:56 AM »
I too would avoid young children at school. Youngsters tend to stare at dogs and they can find this uncomfortable. I know murphy does not like it.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: Puppy Has Bitten My Son Today
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 10:22:15 AM »
very sensible advice from Elaine as usual ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline daw

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »
I don't think 'nipping in the bud' is the way to go. Everyone has given good advice. Probably summed up by trying to see things from Betty's point of view which is that of a very small easily scared animal to whom even your 3 y.o looks like a terrifying giant.  :o

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 12:24:14 PM »
I agree with twiceover2 but would like to add that many dogs simply don't like being picked up or hugged, and that should be respected.

I was about to say this - one of mine was like this and hated being picked up - in her case it was because she was quite independent (she only became more tolerant of it when she became blind).

Often a good way to also remove a puppy if you can is to lure them with a toy or treat so they follow so you avoid confrontation

All pups are different - I had 2 blue roans here who were like chalk and cheese but both needed showing how to behave as time went on.

I am also a believer in pre-empting things so a little training would be good - short and sweet, but also get the older children involved in training too.

The dogs trust are currently doing workshops so children can be safe around all dogs and learn to handle them and read some of their behaviours, which is good even for pups, as a dog doesn't have to be bad or aggressive to be pushed beyond their limit. You can ask for these workshops to be arranged at schools or community groups or local libraries or may be they'd even do them if a group of like-minded parents got together and requested one. They are part of their Be Dog Smart campaign - sometimes despite being dog owners previously its worth a refresher from an independent source, particularly if its a while since an owner has had a pup and now has children

http://www.learnwithdogstrust.org.uk/free-learning-resources/Community-Education/be-dog-smart/index.html

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 03:50:21 PM »
Daw, by "nipping in the bud", I wasn't putting any blame on either  the puppy or the child, but whatever the cause, I'm sure everyone would agree  if a puppy growls and bites a child the situation needs to be addressed and "nipped in the bud" very quickly. It might sound hard but we always adopted the one strike and you're out policy with the dogs when the children were very small (admittedly, we hadn't had them as puppies). We adored the dogs but our first duty was to the children. We never had any problems, thank heavens.
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting for one moment, that I'd apply that this young puppy, she's still learning her place and its not her fault, but nontheless, a dog that bites + children is a no go.

Offline daw

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 03:58:31 PM »
No of course not! It's just the phrase suggests the problem is with the puppy and it is more likely to be the situation the puppy is being put into. I believe the way to stop biting or growling in such a young and quite tender little thing is for it not to put into that predicament. Then it's  :angel: