Author Topic: Puppy Has Bitten My Son Today 😔  (Read 9585 times)

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
Re: Puppy Has Bitten My Son Today 😔
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 11:30:08 AM »
Hi.  I like all the advice given here.

We've tried to re-iterate that the children are her superiors and not her equals.

??  Maybe just a choice of words I don't understand but why are the children her superiors and who are you pointing this out to? I'd have thought they were fairly equal as your pup has probably the mental ability of a 2 or 3 yr old but speaks dog, not English, and is part of the same family.  Good advice to get a positive behaviourist in here because if things continue as they are nothing will get better.

Best of luck
Diane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 11:44:38 AM »
its often best not to imply anyone being superior to the dog and may be reiterate respect for space

There are some great resources here
http://www.learnwithdogstrust.org.uk/free-learning-resources/Community-Education/be-dog-smart/index.html
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline rubybella

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »
Can you not simply tell the children NOT to pick the puppy up ?? I am not sure in what circumstances they should have to pick her up and carry her around!

I did not leave either of my dogs as puppies in another room with my children, they were in the kitchen with me and if the children came in the kitchen I was there to supervise how they behaved.

I feel you are blaming the puppy for incidents that are happening, rather than looking at the source of the problem. You say your youngest accidentally fell towards your puppy and got bitten, suggesting that the puppy was completely to blame in the way it responded because your child only did it by accident. Your puppy doesn't know it was an accident, it was probably terrified it was going to be hurt!

If your puppy doesn't chose to nap in its crate in the day then put it in there! Don't allow the puppy to nap in its bed in the lounge unless you are there the whole time to supervise.

You cannot expect a puppy to slot into family life and just get on with it! My children are now 11 and 14, when I am looking after my friends puppy they still have strict rules to follow. No picking up, no disturbing when asleep on bed or in crate. The puppy stays in the kitchen with me so I know exactly what is going on and my kids are much older than yours and been bought up with 2 dogs!

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 02:34:47 PM »
cocker puppies are know to be little terrors, we have had grown men and women on here thinking they have got some sort of evil puppy, with their trouser and ankles shredded having to wear willies in the house to protect their legs  ph34r. They grow out of it and your pup sounds like an angel compared to some . I don't think for a minute the pup is doing anything wrong and the child falling just scared the pup awake. Why are the children picking the pup up anyway, would they do that with an adult cocker , you will confuse the pup saying that you are trying to teach it children are superiors ? .puppies are all teeth at that age and they will nip and bite anything they can get their teeth on , try freezing a kong and putting pup in crate for a bit of time out sometimes
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 03:10:07 PM »
The only time Murphy has had a real go at Millie was when she fell into him by accident. I think it is natural instinct that the dog feels shocked and threatened.

As minimoo says, cocker pups can be real terrors and Murphy brought me (a 47 year old male) to tears on a couple of occasions. And he turned out okay (ish) :lol2:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 03:16:33 PM »
having to wear willies in the house to protect their legs....00ps   :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline daw

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 03:18:14 PM »

We've been reduced to some things by cockers but never that!  :lol:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 03:24:14 PM »

We've been reduced to some things by cockers but never that!  :lol:

Give it time, daw, who knows? :011:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline daw

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »
You're absolutely right! I'd do anything for them.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: Puppy Has Bitten My Son Today
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »
Surely this is a problem with your children and not the puppy? And if you can't get them to act in the way you want, why should a small scared puppy be expected to?
Totally agree :shades:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »
Can I just say please don't be scared off by some replies , everyone on here means well and you will get some damn good advice, even if its not always what you want to hear  ;) :D
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline hoover

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 08:27:35 PM »
I really sympathise with your situation ETavernor.  You have been used to a placid, docile cocker who would tolerate anything and used your experience and judgement to get another and you are finding its temperament is, presently at least, very different.  There are plently of naturally tolerant dogs out there, that was my former experience too, of dogs (and puppies) that would let children lift them, play around them and with them and fall into them without batting an eyelid.  But your dog is not one of those dogs.   And then you come to this forum for support and have to read some responses seeming to imply it is a problem with your children for accidentally falling on your dog, or with you, for not having the superhuman powers to control and prevent your children from accidentally falling. 

I expect you got your dog expecting her to become a part of your family and you are now seeing that actually, limiting her contact with your children might presently be the safest option.   And you might feel torn - because this was not how you were expecting to live and what does that mean for the future?  And how will your dog begin to learn more manageable responses if you take her out of these situations altogether?  Like I say, I really feel for you, we have had a similarly tough time with our young cocker but we are an adult household.  We use a combination of avoiding known big triggers and attempting to desensitize him to situations - this involves gradually exposing him and rewarding good responses (or the absence of negatve responses!)  He didn't like being picked up either but we now lift him 3 times a day and he is perfectly happy - this was a long, arduous process of treating him, and we are not being complacent - we do this every day in case he lapses back to his previous response.  The same with leading him round with a hand on his collar which he hated and snapped at us over - we repeat this daily as well. But as adults we can make that informed decision ourselves, knowing there was an element of personal risk to us as we began that process - exposing children to a similar process of exposure is quite a different question. If it helps in any way our dog is definitely getting better over time and is more able to inhibit his instinctive responses.

I think you are doing the right thing in getting a behaviourist in, and until you feel you have got some good professional advice it does sound like the wisest thing to do would be to limit contact with the children, especially preventing those situations that you know might trigger a response.  Your dog is not a bad dog, your children aren't bad children and you are not a bad mother or dog owner - you're just all in a difficult situation right now and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 10:39:55 PM »
And then you come to this forum for support and have to read some responses seeming to imply it is a problem with your children for accidentally falling on your dog, or with you, for not having the superhuman powers to control and prevent your children from accidentally falling. 

Thanks Hoover for your response. I have come to this forum for support and some responses have been extremely unhelpful.  I feel that some members have little experience or have forgotten how it is to have young children and a Cocker pup. Like Hoover said superhuman powers required in some of your 'ideal' situations. As it happens Betty is an extremely tactile and cuddly dog and does not usually have a problem with being picked up by me or my husband.

The dog behaviouralist that I spoke with has told me that this is a common problem and is real issue with Cocker Spaniels. He indicated it may not be a good idea to keep Betty. He was concerned that she had resorted to biting on the face at 16 weeks. Today I went to lift her off the sofa and she growled and went for me. I was shocked - first time she has done this. So tell me please how can that be the fault of my children.

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:34 PM »
Rubybella - Yes of course I have told the children not to pick Betty up. I am constantly reinforcing how they should behave with her and when they should leave her be. The occasion when my son was bitten was when he was moving her away from swallowing a mouthful of marbles. I am not blaming Betty. I do not wear rose tinted glasses and am well aware this is as much the children's fault. However, the situation is Betty has come to live in a house with three children. The biting cannot continue and at the end of the day Betty is a dog and the children come first!

Daw/MacTavish Boy - Can I ask do you have experience of having children and a Cocker pup? Children will be children and I'm sorry but I do not have superpowers that stop my three year old from accidentally tripping and falling on the edge of the dog bed. I totally appreciate that this would have caused shock and fear to poor Betty. Today Betty growled and went to bite me as I lifted her down from the sofa. How can this be the fault of my children?!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 11:21:49 PM »
Wasn't suggesting it was a slur on your children but most of us have suggested some pups just do not like the sort of handling they may get from small hands (who's grip may be harder than they mean to do) plus children move faster than adults do and make more high pitched noises, which can often be scarier for some pups

many of us may also question what the behaviourist has suggested as well as it seems to be a slur on the breed as a whole and an amazing generalisation on the breed

It can also be suggested that certain pups (of any breed/crossbreed) are better suited to certain environments and others not - I have fostered some pups that I won't suggest they go to an inexperienced family or one with small children or we get pups in that will suit any family - even within a litter they can vary so much. My 1st cocker ruby would've been a nightmare as a pup in the wrong hands (she was strong willed, over-confident and very independent which meant she wasn't for everyone) but Wilf who I got next would be as easy as they come for any home). When I decided on Bosley I knew he would be a calm pup compared to his sister who I fostered at the same time (she was too much like Ruby).

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!