Author Topic: Puppy Has Bitten My Son Today 😔  (Read 9587 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Puppy Has Bitten My Son Today 😔
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »
I think everyone who comes on here clearly loves their dog or they would not bother trying to find solutions to problems . I think some of posts on here are too blunt and contain some helpful info but tone is too harsh. This person just wants their kids to be safe and a happy puppy. It's possible to share your experience and wisdom without having to make feel someone else feel bad. Really hope this situation gets resolved ASAP for everyone :D

Well said!!! I absolutely agree!!!! Sometimes written remarks don't always come over as diplomatically as spoken ones but our aim should be to help and encourage, not demotivate, so perhaps a little more tact wouldn't come amiss now and again.  ;)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2016, 01:27:34 PM »
You've obviously been given a lot of advice here, and I can appreciate that you are currently in a stressful situation at home. 
Before I start on any opinions of my own, I will explain our situation so you know where my opinions are coming from.

We have a Cocker Spaniel who is 8.5yrs... I also have a 5yr old and a nearly 4yr old with special needs.  We have recently got a kitten.
Our Cocker was very much a Cocker who didn't like being handled - she hated being picked up, and still is not a dog who enoys cuddles/physical contact... she also doesn't trust children at all, due to some unfortunate experiences in her adolescence. 

As my children grew from baby into toddlers and now young children, they were constantly reinforced not to approach or cuddle/stroke the dog without us being there with them.  I do appreciate it was easier, as Honey was not a Puppy getting in to everything, but a mature dog who knew where her safe spaces were, and trusted us to manage any uncomfortable situations.  We had (and still do have) some close calls - yes, a toddler fell on Honey's bed when she was in it, and yes, she growled and snapped - but as a pup we had worked very hard on bite inhibition and, for all her grumpiness (she is a very highly strung dog, and prone to guarding), she has excellent self-control.  Both children have an excellent appreciation of respecting Honey's space and as we have always respected her growls (as in, seen them as a good warning that something is amiss and taught Honey ways to get out of the situation), Honey trusts us to keep her safe.  It's hard work, but manageable. 
Having had this experience, I can totally understand why many breeders do not like to home puppies with young children.

As far as advice goes - I would echo the advice of others to get a behaviourist who will come out and see you pup before making any judgements, and who uses only positive methods (and doesn't start spouting dominance).  They can help you organise your house in a way that will give Betty the opportunity to relax away from the children etc, and assess whether the biting/growling is play, anxiety or guarding (and advice you appropriately on how to manage it).  I would also stop *all* of you picking her up - if she needs to be moved, lure her away using a treat.... many pups of this age develop a dislike to being physically moved (understandably) and it is much better to use non-confrontational approaches to reinforce boundaries.  Also, it will be easier to reinforce to your children not to pick her up if they don't see others doing it...  ;)
I wouldn't let unfamiliar children pet her.... if you are anxious, she will pick up on this and be *more* likely to react to a child as she will sense you are worried and think it is the approach of the child that is worrying you... this is how reactive behaviour can spiral.  She has illustrated that she's not always confident about small children - if you take appropriate steps to ensure that she feels safe, that means she doesn't have to react (the only way she has to tell you she is uncomfortable is through growling or nipping, especially if she is on a lead as she would be in the shops).

Our kitten is now 5 months old and I naively assumed that 2 children used to respecting the space of a dog would understand not to harrass a cat.... but this was not correct, and I had to go back to basics with both children (but especially the youngest) about not picking her up and allowing her to rest etc...  But we have got there... Yes, the children have been scratched - but this does not mean our kitten is aggressive (and neither does it mean that the children are badly managed!!!). 

Managing a dog with young children can be hard work.
Managing a puppy can be hard work.
It *is* manageable, and nothing you have said sparks any major concern for me about Betty's temperament... she's a puppy in a busy situation.  But, unless she is listened to and steps taken to stop putting her in situations she doesn't feel safe in, these things really could develop into a longer term behaviour problem.  In short, you (and everyone around her) need to ensure Betty isn't put in positions where she may feel unsafe and respond by growling/biting, and you can then gradually desensitise her to those situations so that they become less stressful for her.   However, she is still a puppy and will still bite/growl in play for a while to come - this is an important developmental stage for puppies and not something that can safely be cut short, as this is how they learn bite inhibition - the behaviourist should be able to explain some games/training exercises that can help reinforce this, though... :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2016, 08:38:03 PM »
Excellent advice as ever from Claire (Karma) :D

Offline Mel X

• Mels Crafty Delights
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2016, 04:26:14 PM »
I agree, excellent advice Karma.  Good luck ETavernor, I feel for u, with two kids myself I know how challenging it can managing kids and pups.  My youngest dog Charlie was the devil and far worse than any other dog I've had.  I even considered rehoming him and I remember the stress of it too well.  Now, on he is the most gentlest and loving of all of them.

Offline CrazyClover

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2016, 06:53:40 PM »
Hope you find a way to manage the situation, Karma has given some great advice there. My pup is 5 months and my kids are 2 and 4 so I know how difficult it can be! Depending on the layout of your house baby gates may help to keep everyone safe and happy. We have a baby gate across the lounge and clover is not allowed in there during the day- this means that Clover doesn't choke on Lego, the kids don't get upset at her running off with toys and importantly that I can supervise all the interaction. It also manages how 'contaminated ' the lounge gets as my 4 year old is allergic. This also means that all daytime naps are in the crate or on a soft mat just outside the gate across the door where she can be nearer to the action, so she can't get fallen on or disturbed so easily. An earlier poster mentioned the feeling of disappointment at having to manage the dog like this when you envisaged the pup being fully around the kids, but it won't necessarily always be this way, once pup and kids have grown, matured and learnt each other's ways then everything can hopefully get a bit more relaxed. Best of luck 😃

Offline CrazyClover

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »
Just in case my last post sounded a bit smug, quite a lot of my day sounds like this 'muuum clovers got my teeedddddyyyy!' 'Muuuum clover got in!' 'Shut the gate!' 'Shut the gate!' Shut the gate!' ' ' 'Clover leave it' ' muum I couldn't open the gate and I've wet myself!' Oh well, we try!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2016, 08:14:46 PM »
Just in case my last post sounded a bit smug, quite a lot of my day sounds like this 'muuum clovers got my teeedddddyyyy!' 'Muuuum clover got in!' 'Shut the gate!' 'Shut the gate!' Shut the gate!' ' ' 'Clover leave it' ' muum I couldn't open the gate and I've wet myself!' Oh well, we try!

Sorry to laugh but that has just had me in complete hysterics  :rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2016, 08:47:11 PM »
 :005: Lovely! and sounds very familiar, - although, for me, a long time ago!!!!

Offline Mel X

• Mels Crafty Delights
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2016, 10:05:21 PM »
Ah, yes - that was like a trip down memory lane 

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
Thank you blue Paula and Bizzylizzy for your support.

Thank you karma for your good advice.

Crazyclover your post made me chuckle. Your house sounds very much like mine!